It's official: Canon USA offers 5D2 firmware update - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #61
Major Player

Jon,

Would you please confirm whether this upgrade will be available to Mk II's in PAL land?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #62
Obstreperous Rex

Brendan -- since there is only one single camera model sold worldwide, with no differences at all among units sold in Europe or North America or elsewhere, the firmware upgrade does indeed apply to all 5D2 cameras everywhere on the planet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #63
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
Would you please confirm whether this upgrade will be available to Mk II's in PAL land?
Chris is right. It will be available worldwide.

That said, there's still no word on 25p. The options for creating a 25p result are:
1) Slow the footage by 20%,
2) Wait for a 25p firmware update, (I predict before the holidays, but there's no guarantee.)
3) Use After Effects or some other software for the format conversion, (slow, limited quality) or
4) Just post your stuff on the web where the frame rate doesn't matter!

Hopefully, Canon will make this issue moot sooner, rather than later...
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
2) Wait for a 25p firmware update, (I predict before the holidays, but there's no guarantee.)
Please forgive my question, but which holiday? I hope you're not referring to Christmas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Hopefully, Canon will make this issue moot sooner, rather than later...
Amen!

Of course, we have Mr H on our side.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #65
Tourist

June can't come soon enough!
Roni Lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
Please forgive my question, but which holiday? I hope you're not referring to Christmas...
Yes. Christmas. My prediction is that it will be available before the holiday selling season.

But note that 25p could come next week, and my prediction would still hold true. :)

[DISCLAIMER: My 25p prediction is based on nothing except for a gut feel - and a sense of the worst case. If it's not available by Christmas, it's probably not coming at all. I have no insider information whatsoever.]
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gjevre View Post
Does anyone else find it curious that this firmware release is scheduled to happen right around the time that the GH1 is being released in North America?

Perhaps Canon feeling a little competition from Matsushita?

Now we just need Nikon to make a surprise announcement involving June and the circle will be complete...
Very curious, pathetically curious even.

So, now that the game has changed, they have decided to create an update that will solve some of their serious problems.

I think I shall still invest in the GH1 on principle. It just shows who the real boundary-pushers are and its certainly not Canon, they are simply squeezing every last drop of dated capability out of their consumers before moving on with slow and deliberate hesitation.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #68
New Boot

Great news indeed. Going to make things a lot more interesting, just glad I never got caught up in getting Nikon glass.... even though I was almost there. Thank you canon.
Van Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #69
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Smith View Post
...with slow and deliberate hesitation.
I don't know. In the corporate world, getting everybody to agree on what to do, setting the specification, writing the code, testing the code, fixing the bugs, releasing the firmware and (I assume) the documentation in seven months isn't fast, but it's not necessarily foot dragging. Rather than a decision to delay, it was more likely a delay before they came to a consensus decision.

I've evaluated the shutter speeds pretty closely, as has Mark Hahn, and it's clear that they didn't have everything implemented to just turn on manual control. The available shutter speeds are really coarse and don't even match the displayed values!

Canon earned back a lot of my respect with the announcement of this release. If they do 24/25p as well, it will be two big thumbs up!
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #70
Major Player

Going back to my original "good conversation with Canon" thread, I've been maintaining Canon would do this. And Chris, while I'm grateful for what Tramm has done, I bet some friends last night that Canon would announce this by early June to counter the release of the all manual GH1.

I win a bottle of tequila and a fully manual 5DII.

How confident was I?
I ordered the 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4 and an H4N last week.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
I ordered the 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4 and an H4N last week.
Do you mean the 85mm f/1.2?

So, what brand tequila is it? ;)
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #72
Major Player

oops, yeah Jon, the big honkin' f/1.2
I've been wanting to replace my Nikon 85mm with the Canon since I got the 5DII but was waiting for the update.

After several years using Nikons on the Mini35 and Letus setups, it's going to be really nice to have AF on all my lenses. Now my kit is all Canon: 24-105 F/4, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.2

And the tequila is Corzo.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
Please point me towards a detailed explanation of what I'm missing for want of 25p in MkII?
Simple explantion:

First, in a Pal market (unless you're making something soley for web distribution), you've got to get the footage to 25p for DVD distribution / broadcast. While most of my work is for the web, the majority of my clients want a DVD version in addition to the web version, making the 5D a pain in the neck for day to day work.

Second, you also need it to be 25p to integrate it with footage from other cameras.

Third, recording 30p in an environment with 50hz lighting often leads to flicker (although this is less of a problem because at least you can see it in the viewfinder when it's occuring and do something about it).
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #74
Major Player

I'm having a better morning, thanks to Chris, Jon and Josh .....

I'll be waiting for Canon & the icing on the Christmas cake with more optimism than usual ...
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Styles View Post
Great news indeed. Going to make things a lot more interesting, just glad I never got caught up in getting Nikon glass.... even though I was almost there. Thank you canon.
I've bought ten or so Nikkors and will probaly keep most of them.

Even after this update, second hand Nikkor AIS glass is a super affordable way to get a bunch of sharp, fast primes on your 5D, all with really smooth focussing action.

Even using Nikkors, this update will make life easier.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD