It's official: Canon USA offers 5D2 firmware update - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #76
Major Player

A few months ago, I got an email from Canon asking me (and probably thousands of my closest friends!) to write a 5D mk II review on the Canon web site. I submitted my review, and posted about it here on DVInfo.net. I suggested everybody complain about the lack of manual controls in video mode, and sure enough, pretty much every review ever since that time has made mention of it.

That said, even though I always complied with Canon's terms, my review was never published. I tried about 10 times, each time tweaking any language which I thought Canon may in some weird way take as being offensive or against its terms. Eventually I gave up. The word was out, and, like I said, pretty much every review mentioned the problem.

And so it is with more than just a little surprise that today, Canon finally deemed to publish my latest review of the Camera... the one that's gushing with praise and has no negative comments about the LACK of manual control! Here it is, just for the fun of it:

"With today's announcement by Canon that the 5D mk II will finally have full manual control in video mode via a firmware update (as it should have had from the beginning!), this camera will finally be able to live up to its enormous potential.

Now we can use all our expensive L lenses to shoot great video without having to jump through hoops to do it.

Good job Canon. Now this is THE camera to own."

I still don't know why they wouldn't publish any of my other attempts. They were far less negative than many!

Julian

Here's the original thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...g-reviews.html
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #77
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Even after this update, second hand Nikkor AIS glass is a super affordable way to get a bunch of sharp, fast primes on your 5D, all with really smooth focussing action.
I have accumulated a bunch of great old Nikkors from 24mm to 300mm for less than the cost of one new Canon lens.

There are also some really nice manual Canon FD lenses. For 60 Euros I just got a beautiful F/3.5 35-105mm that looks absolutely brand new is pin sharp & has a very smooth aperture/focus/zoom mechanism. It did cost me another 35 Euros for the FD>EF adaptor but for the equivalent of less than $130 I have a great flexible lens with manual aperture.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Back to the Firmware.

AFAIK there has been no official announcement in Europe or Asia yet? So maybe there is hope for 25 fps. I mean there is no need for the Canon USA to mention it as it's not relevant to that market. The only thing our NTSC brothers would be after is 24 fps.

Do you think maybe they will do a firmware update for the different regions, if having the ability to change the frame rate by the user is too hard an option to put in?
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lander View Post
So maybe there is hope for 25 fps.
I've been thinking the same thing... maybe, just maybe there is more to the update than what was included in the bare threads announcement. After all, it didn't say exposure control *exclusively* had been addressed. But then, I wouldn't get my hopes up my Aussie friend.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #80
Sponsor: Westside AV

I may be naive, but I think Canon always saw the 5D as a still camera. And the added HD vid was a kind of experiment, because of a wish from AP photographers wanting video for web capability. And for that the initial release was just about right.

How often does a new way of thinking come out right on the first try?

I am amazed that Canon updated this quickly. I think they had no idea what effect the mk2 would have on us shooters.

I think Canon has always been a very daring and innovative company lots of firsts, incredible glass etc.

This quick new firmware demonstrates their commitment to their customers.

Thank you Canon. I know you pulled time out of other projects to fix this quickly.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Even using Nikkors, this update will make life easier.
I agree, just for being able to lock down the shutter. Although, who knows how manual will actually work with a non-Canon lens attached? It wouldn't be beyond reason to think it might just work the same way as it does today. In a way, that would make sense, no reason to make using non-Canon glass any easier now would it?

Also, it's going to be interesting to see some other aspects of how this was actually implemented. For example, will they stick to the limited range of shutter speeds and apertures that auto mode had? So, you get manual control over limited settings? Or will all speeds and f-stops be available (b/w the supported ranges)? Also, will you be able to change settings WHILE recording? For the indie types that probably won't be a problem because you wouldn't change your setup mid-take, but I can think of some instances where it might be nice to have that option. Also, will exposure compensation work in manual? While recording or not recording? Not sure you'd need it of course, but it'll be interesting to see if you can and how it operates (changes ISO maybe?).

Anyway, not nitpicking at all, I love the fact they listened and reacted, I'm just real curious to see how this was implemented...
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #82
New Boot

Canon, thank you for listening to your user base. My L lenses were very happy to hear this news. Now they're telling me they want 24P. Please...
David Adamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
I've been thinking the same thing... maybe, just maybe there is more to the update than what was included in the bare threads announcement. After all, it didn't say exposure control *exclusively* had been addressed. But then, I wouldn't get my hopes up my Aussie friend.
But equally they didn't say 'Full' Manual control, will it be full, where every ISO/Shutter/F number is available to us, or something less?

I think if they had more features built into this update, they would certainly blow their horn about it.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I think if they had more features built into this update, they would certainly blow their horn about it.
They announced enough to get our attention. There's a possibility that they will add even more features and have additional horns to toot. That would get them two big news week cycles.

My hopes are high, but my expectations (beyond solid manual control) are not.
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #85
Trustee

If they had waited one more day, I would have purchased a Nikon 80-200 manual lens used. Now, I might put that money towards a Canon 80-200 IS USM which may mean another $1600 to Canon instead of more used Nikon glass. I don't mind manual lenses at all but the IS in a telephoto would be quite helpful.

Considering the update isn't ready yet, I'm starting to think a lack of manual control was just a huge oversight on their part. Without manual control on video, that also means no manual control shooting in live view mode. That all seems like they weren't completely ready for live view mode when it was released. I'm glad I got this camera, especially now that there are firmware updates coming from two directions.

Last edited by Marcus Marchesseault; May 28th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #86
Major Player

Help: I'm a little confused by the sensor size

The above describes the sensor as 24mm x 36mm which provides depth of feild characteristics unseen in ANY video camera.

Am I to understand that this 5DMarkII will provide depth of field the same or similar to full 35mm film during video mode? Or is this only providing DoF similar to 16mm film during video operation?

Thanks
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #87
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
There are also some really nice manual Canon FD lenses. For 60 Euros I just got a beautiful F/3.5 35-105mm that looks absolutely brand new is pin sharp & has a very smooth aperture/focus/zoom mechanism. It did cost me another 35 Euros for the FD>EF adaptor but for the equivalent of less than $130 I have a great flexible lens with manual aperture.
Not to derail the thread, but I purchased an FD adapter as well (probably the same one) and was unimpressed by the results. Besides the softer image, the amount of light loss was very significant. 2 stops roughly. I have detailed notes & numbers, but never posted them since everyone was buying Nikons anyway.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #88
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Witt View Post
The above describes the sensor as 24mm x 36mm which provides depth of feild characteristics unseen in ANY video camera.

Am I to understand that this 5DMarkII will provide depth of field the same or similar to full 35mm film during video mode? Or is this only providing DoF similar to 16mm film during video operation?

Thanks
Same DOF as 35mm stills film, yes. Hence the collective love affair with the camera. :)
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #89
Wrangler

Quote:
I've bought ten or so Nikkors and will probaly keep most of them.

Even after this update, second hand Nikkor AIS glass is a super affordable way to get a bunch of sharp, fast primes on your 5D, all with really smooth focussing action.

Even using Nikkors, this update will make life easier.
Same here. For cinematic work I don't need AF, so the Nikon primes are a bargain. I think I bought 8 or so, none over $150.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #90
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Same here. For cinematic work I don't need AF, so the Nikon primes are a bargain. I think I bought 8 or so, none over $150.
Thanks for the help Dylan. I have some manual focus Nikon lenses for 35mm film cameras that I am using with a Brevis adapter.....can I use them on this 5D MarkII camera??
Steve Witt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD