need stabilization help.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: need stabilization help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
thanks. my point is that because I bought the 5D primarily to shoot videos, does the IS on lenses work effectively for that?
Yes, but remember the IS is designed for still photographers to hold a stationary shot so it's very effective at taking out minor hand tremors. It's not designed to make panning smooth. If you use it on a tripod or even on a shoulder rig you should switch IS off as it can actually make movement worse as when you pan it tries to compensate as far as it is able & then gives up then tries again so you end up with very jerky footage.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #17
Major Player

thanks. I might still be in time to take the 24-70 back to the store and get the 24-105 IS instead.
I do most of the shooting handheld, and was quite shocked at how difficult it is to keep things steady without any kind of IS.

I might have been naive, but I went for the 24-70 as most people think here it's a better lens, and surely faster/
I have to say the stills are magnificent to say the least!

I guess I am trying to understand if the IS advantage is definitely noticeable and justify the swap?

Last edited by Federico Perale; July 4th, 2011 at 05:25 AM.
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I have both lenses & think that the image is better & sharper from the 24-105mm which is an amazingly good lens. The IS is very good as long as you realise the limitations. The extra reach at the long end is good too.The only issue is that extra stop of aperture from the 24-70mm although I do prefer to use the 24-105mm if at all possible.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #19
Major Player

thanks Nigel
the store says I can bring it back

still....before doing this can you please try to give me more insight as to how much the IS really helps?
I've read contrasting reports, where some say the IS is primarily for stills, hence its effects on video is very limited.
others say it's very helpful, and the benefit tangible. - furthermore the same people say the slightly less prominent shallow DOF on the 24-105 makes it also easier to keep in focus.

by what you wrote it seems the 24-105 is your go-to lens for video.

would you say the IS gets close to using the 24-70 with a monopod?
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #20
Major Player

OK I swapped the lens for a 24-105 and I am quite happy.
the IS function DOES make a noticeable difference, although there is certain something in terms of quality of the image that i think the 24-70 had over this one...apart from being a faster lens that is

strangely I am noticing that shooting without IS is even harder than with the 24-70

I also have to say the IS noise gets picked by the internal mic so much that the audio becomes unusable...

do you guys leave the IS on at all times? unless you use an external mic I don't see how the internal mic could be used with IS on
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #21
Major Player

For a number of reasons, I personally don't even acknowledge the internal mic exists. Invest a little in a Rode VideoMic Pro and you'll be a very happy camper.

But for what it's worth, I turn off IS on my 24-105 even when using the RVMP. That's why God invented tripods. I've also discovered a new respect for the monopod, for the aforementioned reasons. A monopod shot isn't going to be as rock-solid as a tripod, but it'll be a whole lot better than handheld, and it's not as invasive as a tripod.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Pryor View Post
I'm looking for a way to stabilize my 5d for hand held shoots. I've been looking for either a shoulder mounted rig or a steady/glide cam of some sorts.
Over the years I've tried quite a few contraptions for handheld -- one of which was the Varizoom Ultralite: VariZoom VZ UltraLite
(scroll down to see pictures). It took forever to set up right, and even with a bare-bone 5D2, I could not shoot more than a minute or so -- it was simply too heavy for me.

Nowadays, for my handheld I either go with a bare-bone camera with a wide lens (20mm), or use my big Redrock rig (rails, follow-focus, etc.) with a shoulder pad and handles. Here's the pad I got:
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Attachment belongs to post above...
Attached Thumbnails
need stabilization help....-shoulderpad.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #24
Contributor

I have a Cavision shoulder mount rig and can do handheld shots reasonably steady with my 24mm, 35mm and in most cases the 50mm. Anything longer than that is not good. Even for Steadicam shots I use the 35mm. If for some reason you can't use a tripod for most things, consider a good monopod.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD