New Firmware - usability under changing light conditions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
Obviously controlling light is the goal of most shooting whether adjusting angles and camera cuts in uncontrollable light or using silks, fill etc., where you can. Iris pulls are definitely doable when necessary, but need a continuous aperture like I described and a bit of finesse.
The lack of continuous aperture (or shutter or gain) is definitely a limiting factor - as is my lack of experience and finesse!

Thinking back to reporting at F1 races, I often see the camera follow the drivers from parc ferme to the weighing room after the race and notice the operator changing exposure. I've never noticed any steps, so I assume that it's a continuous aperture.

The funny thing is when the camera op walks into the Ferrari pits. Everything is red, and lots of light shines through red banners. The walls are red. The car is red. The uniforms are red. ...And the color balance is terrible! They certainly don't try to correct that on the fly. It just looks bad - unless you are a Ferrari fan. :)

Don't worry. I don't plan to request live WB adjustment for the camera in this lifetime. :)
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
Are you sure about that? According to the Canon site posting, it states:

"...firmware update that enables manual exposure controls while shooting video including: ISO, aperture and shutter speed."
I hate to be negative, but "while shooting video" can be interpreted as "as part of the overall shooting process". It doesn't specifically say at what moment changes can be made.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
I hate to be negative, but "while shooting video" can be interpreted as "as part of the overall shooting process". It doesn't specifically say at what moment changes can be made.
If engineers and lawyers got together to write marketing copy, this stuff would be clear. Long and boring, but clear. ;)
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I am waiting to see something pop up with the new firmware that says, I am sorry, you are not using a genuine Canon lens. Therefore, the manual features cannot be accessed. (Rasberry sound follows).
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
If engineers and lawyers got together to write marketing copy, this stuff would be clear. Long and boring, but clear. ;)
As an engineer, I have had to suffer through days of discussions with lawyers to write patents. They are long but rarely clear.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #36
Regular Crew

My two cents worth: "while shooting video" as opposed to "shooting stills" is what I interpret; therefore, it does not necessaraly imply that changes can be made in the middle of shooting video.
Rick Casillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Casillas View Post
My two cents worth: "while shooting video" as opposed to "shooting stills" is what I interpret; therefore, it does not necessaraly imply that changes can be made in the middle of shooting video.
I'll be happy as long as they don't change 10 seconds after I set them - or after hitting Pause after recording.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I think this time they mean "Manual." My guess is; there will be no auto-anything once you set your dial to "M," it's there!
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Casillas View Post
I think this time they mean "Manual." My guess is; there will be no auto-anything once you set your dial to "M," it's there!
That's the way I read it too - especially since the marketing copy emphasized the "M" mode.

My guess is that Canon will keep the controls in line with a typical Canon DSLR. That means not just "M", but Av, Ap, etc. This makes sense, as their main market is photographers, and they are marketing the video feature to photojournalists - even in China. Any skilled photographer will "get" the camera mode paradigm for video immediately.

We will see...
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Jon,

My thoughts exactly.

Yes. We will see...

Rick C.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #41
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weiss View Post
Singh-Ray 8 Stop Vari-ND, it's super smooth if you haven't used one.
Oh, you mean the $400 variable ND filter that almost none of us own? Kind of makes dialing up/down the ND not an option. :)
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #42
Trustee

How about a drop-in filter like a 4x4 or Cokin? Just yank it out as you go indoors. If your fingers don't go over the lens people won't notice too much. An affordable ND grad could be slid up into it's clear range discretely.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
How about a drop-in filter like a 4x4 or Cokin? Just yank it out as you go indoors. If your fingers don't go over the lens people won't notice too much. An affordable ND grad could be slid up into it's clear range discretely.
And, as I mentioned earlier, if you can insert B-roll over the transition, you can keep the audio rolling and get good before and after shots - even if your fingers do get caught on "tape".
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Oh, you mean the $400 variable ND filter that almost none of us own? Kind of makes dialing up/down the ND not an option. :)
I bought one when I bought the camera. Everybody I know who owns this camera also bought one because it is a valid, useful tool.

It speeds up your shooting process and lowers the fiddle factor by a huge margin.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #45
Major Player

From the PDN website...

Canon Shares More Details on Video Firmware Update for 5D Mark II

So with that, seems like the DP Review site write up of an "Auto" setting for the ISO may or may not be true.

One thing is for sure, we'll all know for sure come June 2nd (tentatively)!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD