DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   video workflow for the 5D Mark 2 is? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236462-video-workflow-5d-mark-2-a.html)

Simon Zimmer May 31st, 2009 03:21 PM

video workflow for the 5D Mark 2 is?

Hello,

I just saw some sample video from the 5d Mark 2 and was just AMAZED.

What is the video workflow for this camera?

I own Prospect HD (cineform). Can this be used in the workflow because it generally makes HD video editing much easier.

Otherwise, if someone could explain the workflow that would be great.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Thanks,

Simon

Chris Barcellos May 31st, 2009 05:16 PM

You need to check with Cineform regarding Prospect. My recolletion is that when it discontinued, it had not been handling 5D material. The good news is that for $100 to $130, you can buy Cineforms Neo Scene which handles 5d file perfectly.

Check with sponsor Video Guys, they have a deal on it still: http://www.videoguys.com/Brand/CineForm.aspx

Simon Zimmer May 31st, 2009 07:54 PM

Thanks.

Actually just got it confirmed from the CEO of Cineform himself that it works with the latest version of Prospect HD. :)))))))

Now if we can somehow figure out how to increase the 4GB limit for the 5D. grrrrrrrr!

12 minutes is not long enough.

Simon

Jon Fairhurst June 1st, 2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer (Post 1151533)
12 minutes is not long enough.

This is another argument for using double system sound. It doesn't take long to start the next clip - and it will be even better, once we have manual controls. The most important thing is not having a gap in the audio. If you have a second camera or appropriate B-roll, you can hide the gap - at least on some projects.

Nigel Barker June 1st, 2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer (Post 1151425)
I just saw some sample video from the 5d Mark 2 and was just AMAZED.

What is the video workflow for this camera?

If the videos that you saw were the same as those that made me buy the camera then it is 5D H.264 > Apple ProRes > Final Cut Pro
Vincent Laforet : photos : Reverie- powered by SmugMug

or in this case 5D H.264 > Apple iMovie using Apple Intermediate Codec

SmugBlog: Don MacAskill Blog Archive First 1080p video from Canon’s new 5D MkII – Amazing!
Chris MacAskill : photos : Paris and San Franciso videos by night- powered by SmugMug

Jon Fairhurst June 1st, 2009 11:01 AM

Yes. For Apple software, you can use ProRes as the intermediate format. Cineform performs a similar task.

One poster here claimed that transcoding to Cineform was faster than transcoding to ProRes, so he planned to use NeoScene with FinalCut. (I haven't heard that claim confirmed or denied. I have no idea - I use Vegas on a PC.)

Regardless of the specific product, transcoding to an intermediate format is the way to go with 5D MkII captured content.

Dom Stevenson June 1st, 2009 11:42 AM

Wow Simon!

Thanks for the link. I've been taking a keen interest in this camera myself, and that looked like a high end TV commercial shot on a fifty grand digital camera, or else film. Any other links to what this camera is capable of?

I've seen some less impressive stuff on other forums, but nothing like this before. I also saw a comparison with the Nikon D90 which i've also been considering, but the Canon came out best every time. To be honest i'd rather save some money and get the Nikon, but i haven't seen anything comparable from that camera. And the FCP workflow sounds fairly painless.

As long as you don't want to Pan or Tilt, it looks like a remarkable camera.

D

Jon Fairhurst June 1st, 2009 12:33 PM

I also wanted to buy the D90, as it was in my budget and the 5D2 was not. Rather than compromise, I stretched my budget.

That the D90 shoots 720p (rather than 1080p), and has a crop sensor, was no big deal for me. The rolling shutter is a bit worse than the 5D2, but neither is great in that regard. The closer for me, though, was the codec. The 5D2's codec (h.264 at about 40 mbps) simply shreds the D90's codec (motion-jpeg at about 14 mbps.) Anything with gravel or fine stonework in the background really falls apart on the D90, and face tones get mottled.

I really wanted the D90 to work, and at 1/3rd the price, I can't blame people for buying it - it's a really nice still cam that can do shallow DOF video. But I wanted to be able to do stunning beauty shots, and the D90 just fell a bit short, IMHO.

My favorite D90 video is a music video that was done with fast cuts, lots of grunge, and ti even has fast camera motion - all in black and white. Between the fast cuts and added noise, all the faults were well hidden. The shallow DOF, however, shined right through.

Depending on the look you want, the D90 has the potential to be the perfect solution.

Dom Stevenson June 1st, 2009 03:41 PM

Thanks for that John.
The D90 sounds like a great stills camera, but i was unaware of the different codecs.
A friend of mine is buying the Canon any day now, so hopefully i'll have a chance to have a play with it.

Nigel Barker June 2nd, 2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1151834)
One poster here claimed that transcoding to Cineform was faster than transcoding to ProRes, so he planned to use NeoScene with FinalCut. (I haven't heard that claim confirmed or denied. I have no idea - I use Vegas on a PC.)

Regardless of the specific product, transcoding to an intermediate format is the way to go with 5D MkII captured content.

I think that might have been me with my initial enthusiasm for CineForm NeoScene after testing the demo for a few days. I have modified my opinion & will not purchasing NeoScene as there are too many disadvantages to use it with FCP.

The conversion to NeoScene is a little simpler than using Compressor & can be a bit quicker. However when using Compressor you can use Qmaster & set up a QuickCluster & so share out the work between other Macs on the network which you cannot with Cineform. So on one system conversion to NeoScene may be quicker with access to several systems using Compressor & converting to ProRes is faster.

If you use NeoScene you cannot use some applications in the Final Cut Studio suite most especially Color. Instead of Color you can use CineForm's application First Light but that is not available with NeoScene at $139 but only with NeoScene HD at $499.

Finally the whole licensing 'phone home' activation thing is what finally deterred me from purchase. I understand why they do it but as my later father would frequently say "It's just another bloody thing that can go wrong" & from browsing the CineForm forum it is something that goes wrong quite frequently.

So on balance in FCP NeoScene offers no advantage over ProRes which is an equally capable Intermediate CODEC & there are several disadvantages to using it.

Wayne Avanson June 2nd, 2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson (Post 1151856)
Wow Simon!

Thanks for the link. I've been taking a keen interest in this camera myself, and that looked like a high end TV commercial shot on a fifty grand digital camera, or else film. Any other links to what this camera is capable of?

D

Try these Dom,

Dan Chung on Vimeo
Especially the Uganda and the Beijing films,
and
Michael Fletcher on Vimeo
Michael Fletcher, especially the Images of Western Australia.

Brilliant.

Avey