Shutter speed changed itself? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 31st, 2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Shutter speed changed itself?

4 shots taken within 10 seconds; no light change. All @ AV and f/7.1; Spot Metering and ISO 400
1. 1/4000
2. 1/1600
3. 1/1000
4. 1/4000

Why did shutter speeds change and how do I get Mk II to optimize the scene, (by choosing #2 or #3 automatically like my 40D does in AV)?
Attached Thumbnails
Shutter speed changed itself?-img_6834-copy.jpg   Shutter speed changed itself?-img_6835-copy.jpg  

Shutter speed changed itself?-img_6839-copy.jpg   Shutter speed changed itself?-img_6840-copy.jpg  

Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Did you press the AE-lock button? That normally eliminates such changes.

In any case, on Tuesday or so we should have new firmware available that will give us manual control. No one outside of Canon and their partners knows exactly what to expect, but you should be able to avoid the changes that you recently experienced.
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Did you press the AE-lock button? That normally eliminates such changes.
In any case, on Tuesday or so we should have new firmware available that will give us manual control. No one outside of Canon and their partners knows exactly what to expect, but you should be able to avoid the changes that you recently experienced.
Thank you very much Jon. No, silly me, I did not even think of pressing AE-lock button and I shall test that today. It appears that AV Mode on Mk II is not as intuitive as it is on 40D?
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
Thank you very much Jon. No, silly me, I did not even think of pressing AE-lock button and I shall test that today. It appears that AV Mode on Mk II is not as intuitive as it is on 40D?
Right now, everything is automatic in video mode. There is no M, Av or Ap for 5D Video. However, the new firmware should give us "M" mode. Hopefully, we'll get Av and Ap as well. We will see!
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Are we talking still photos or video here? I think that Brendan is talking about stills as video never has a shutter speed of 1/4000. John certainly is talking about video. The Exposure Lock button does function for stills but you wouldn't normally use it for repeated shots of the same subject without changing light conditions.

I am not sure why the exposure should vary like that shot from shot. I do find that in automatic mode when fixing the aperture that the shutter isn't always correct & after reviewing the photo I sometimes need to switch to manual to get the correct exposure.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Are we talking still photos or video here? I think that Brendan is talking about stills as video never has a shutter speed of 1/4000. John certainly is talking about video. The Exposure Lock button does function for stills but you wouldn't normally use it for repeated shots of the same subject without changing light conditions.

I am not sure why the exposure should vary like that shot from shot. I do find that in automatic mode when fixing the aperture that the shutter isn't always correct & after reviewing the photo I sometimes need to switch to manual to get the correct exposure.
Thank you, for hitting the nail on the head, Nigel. The images above are stills.

In Live View Function settings I selected Stills & Movie. It may be that Jon is implying that if I had selected "Stills only" (and AE Lock?) I would have had the intuitive response I get from 40D, [that is, in AV Mode I select the f/stop, ISO, metering, WB and let the camera find the fastest shutter speed in the prevailing conditions of light and camera shake].

But now you have defined the problem well and I look forward to more answers.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Wrangler

If you used spot metering, then it isn't surprising that the exposure changed a bit between shots in a scene that contains a lot of contrast. In spot metering, just the small circle in the center of the viewfinder is used for metering.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
If you used spot metering, then it isn't surprising that the exposure changed a bit between shots in a scene that contains a lot of contrast. In spot metering, just the small circle in the center of the viewfinder is used for metering.
Amn't I glad I asked the question and I thank you all for developing the question so that Pete could answer it. All my centre-focus-points were off the birds ... so that's when to think twice or more before spot-metering. Thank you very much, Pete. I wish I could have found that out for myself but, hopefully I'll know the next time.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD