DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   On my desk right now... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236499-my-desk-right-now.html)

Dan Chung June 1st, 2009 08:32 AM

On my desk right now...Is a Beachtek DXA-5D

1 Attachment(s)
Is this, more later

Dan

Ryan Mueller June 1st, 2009 09:02 AM

Very nice! Let us know how the system works. Some audio samples would be excellent as well:)

Dan Chung June 1st, 2009 11:10 PM

Quick initial impressions are that the unit is more plastic in construction that previous units, this is not necessarily a bad thing as it keeps the weight down. Sat underneath the camera it is slightly larger than a 5dmkII battery grip but its square shape makes it a little harder to hold than before. It attaches firmly and has two extra little locator pins that mate with the 5dmkII baseplate to stop any movement. Underneath the unit there is a tripod bush and a couple of extra hole for video tripod plate locators. The LCD is clear and it displays all the relevant functions.

As for audio I am still testing. I'll try and post some files later but it seems the agc disbable function does work as advertised. Because the adapter is passive it does need sensitive mics, with my Sanken CS-1 it needs the gain turning quite high to get a usable level. Radio mics like the Sennheiser EW112P have no problem feeding a good level and feeding from my Sound Devices mixer was fine too.

The headphone output does not seem to be as good as the output to the camera (the manual alludes to this), it has quite a lot of hiss with the headphones I have tried so far.

To my surprise the unit is made in China, funny as I had to have the unit shipped here to Beijing from Canada. Not very carbon neutral :)

Dan

Dan Chung June 1st, 2009 11:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more quick pictures.

Jon Fairhurst June 1st, 2009 11:39 PM

Dan, if you get a chance, take a look at where your meters rest during relative silence. I'd like to get a handle on the noise floor. My tests using a 16 kHz tone from an iPod had the noise at -40dB or so, which was disappointing.

Also, what frequency is the unit using?

Mark Hahn June 1st, 2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1152599)
A few more quick pictures.

Would that mount on rails?

Dan Chung June 2nd, 2009 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark,

I've been messing around with rails systems and the Beachtek. The best I can come up with so far is based on my Redrockmicro system but it can only handle long lenses with a follow focus attached. I am going to test various Redrockmicro and Genus combinations when I have the time.

Jon,

I'll have a look when I get down to proper testing.

Dan

Nigel Barker June 2nd, 2009 06:34 AM

Dan,

How does that work with the battery grip?

Thomas Lowe June 2nd, 2009 09:37 AM

LMAO at the velcro taped over the eye-piece. Stills shooters would probably have a heart-attack seeing that. :)

Wayne Avanson June 3rd, 2009 07:51 AM

Hey Dan,How you getting on with the new Loup?

Is it MUCH better than the Hoodman?

Avey

Andrew McMillan June 3rd, 2009 10:14 AM

What's this new loupe your talkin about? Isn't that the hoodman in the pic?

Jon Fairhurst June 3rd, 2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1153362)
Is it MUCH better than the Hoodman?

And, specifically, how tolerant is the new loupe of the eye being off center?

I find the Hoodloupe quality to be fine when on center, but the sweet spot is really tiny.

Wayne Avanson June 3rd, 2009 11:12 AM

Jon,
have you got an eyecup or anything attached to the end of your Hoodloup?

I put the iCuff on there and it's so much easier somehow. Maybe it's because my eye is now a few mm further away from the 'loup eyepiece, or maybe it's because when pressing against the iCuff, it's easier to move about into a good viewing angle…

Either way, hunting for the sweet spot doesn't seem to be an issue for me much any more.

Jon Fairhurst June 3rd, 2009 11:50 AM

An eyecup is definitely on my "to buy" list.

Nigel Barker June 3rd, 2009 12:17 PM

Wayne, Which model i-cuff did you buy? On balance the Hoodloupe is much better than staring at the LCD at arms length & it does help stabilisation but I think that some eye-cup comfort would help a lot.