Firmware update now available (link) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Wrangler

Took longer to read the directions (MANDATORY for any firmware flash) than to do the update. Seems to work as advertised.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Impression 1.: Yipee, control !!!!

Impression 2: True 1/60 (180 degree shutter ?)

Impression 3: My Nikon lenses haven't been made obsolete by firmware (my private nightmare)

Impression 4: The method of selection of adjustments is not complicated.

Impression 5: This is neat: The exposre + or - "needle" that we previously operated by adjusting wheel up and down, now floats, and registers whether camera considere setting to be under or over exposed.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM   #18
Wizard Status

Magic Lantern firmware bootstrapped with 1.1.0

Canon didn't add any protection mechanisms, so it was fairly easy to bootstrap the Magic Lantern firmware onto the 1.1.0 release. I don't have very many functions mapped yet, just the few necessary to take over the camera's init_task.

Sorry for the horrible screenshot; the iPhone's macro capabilities are sub-optimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Firmware update now available (link)-markfree-110.jpg  
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:57 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
My Nikon lenses haven't been made obsolete by firmware (my private nightmare)
Mine too...

It feels kinda bizarre switching to m and finding everything works as it should. I keep waiting for everything to go wonky, but... it works.

Yay.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Very nice Tramm !

Meantime, I think a good way to set initial exposure for a scene is to start off in Auto ISO mode, adjust your shutter and aperature for desired effect. Then press half down on shutter release, note the camera selected ISO, then go into ISO adjust and zero in up or down around the camera recommended ISO.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Doesn't exposure compensation work? If so I hope it would work by changing the ISO. That would be much easier than manually changing ISO before shooting. The big dial would be nice.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM   #22
Major Player

All I can say is WOW! I was seriously skeptical that we would get this. I have had a few minutes to play around with it and am thoroughly impressed. Very usable, and now I feel like I am actually in control instead of the camera.

Tramm, can't wait to see your future tweaks implemented to this firmware. Then I will absolutely be in heaven!
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
Doesn't exposure compensation work? If so I hope it would work by changing the ISO. That would be much easier than manually changing ISO before shooting. The big dial would be nice.
No, the turning dial exposure compensation does not work in manual mode. Instructions say set ISO first, but frankly I think its more important to set shutter at 1/60 and to get the depth of field you want first and then adjust the ISO. A bit of a pain, but once ISO is dialed in for shot, or set of shots, you should be in good shape.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
Mark: In manual mode, the exposure is entirely dictated by what you dial in for aperture+shutter+ISO. The concept of exposure compensation doesn't make sense here. Okay say if you have it at 1/50, f1.4 @3200 and it is over-exposed. You say you want to use exposure compensation and dial it down 1 stop, well exposure comp doen't exist in manual mode, but all you would need to do is adjust either aperture, shutter, or ISO down 1 stop to achieve proper exposure.

Exposure compensation only makes sense if there is at least one variable that is automatically set by the camera. Thus in 5D2's movie mode's auto mode, everything is automatically set and adjusted by camera based on the reflective meter's readout of the exposure level of the scene and then that is further fine-tuned by the exposure compensation level you have dialed in.

That being said, all of that workflow is grandfathered in from the photo world.. in the video world, one would adjust the gain(ISO) more often than the shutter speed. So given this fact, it would make sense for the aperture and ISO to be assigned to the two dedicated dials, as opposed to the stock configuration where ISO is accessed via a function button. Perhaps Tramm can introduce a hack to allow this reassignment?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Perhaps Tramm can introduce a hack to allow this reassignment?
That would be nice. I'd rather hide the shutter control behind a button and have wheels for aperture and ISO.

Give Auto ISO a try. It's really sweet for a walking-around-the-house video. It's amateur, but it's also really smooth and doesn't hunt.

I wish that AE Lock worked (as a toggle) with Auto ISO. You could just dial in the shutter and aperture, move the camera around a bit, and lock the camera at the desired ISO. The lighting changed radically? Press again to unlock and again to lock when you get the new look.

When matching shots, I'd choose full manual ISO, but locking auto ISO would be extremely fast in the field.
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks, Canon!

The new firmware is a big improvement. Thanks, Canon!
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM   #27
Major Player

I could'nt find the firmware update? where is it? Is it only me? waaaah!!!!
It only shows firmware update version 1.1.0 thats it!
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:27 PM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes View Post
I could'nt find the firmware update? where is it? Is it only me? waaaah!!!!
Rickey that's what you're looking for! Grab it!
Ryan Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:28 PM   #29
Major Player

Hat's off to Canon for pulling this update out.

It's so nice to have OIS back and that certainly knock the edge off the CMOS wobble.

The ability to properly capture low ISO stills with out changing program mode whilst recording is lovely. The amount of time I've had to change presets to do this.

All works a charm.

So for run'n gun you just set the shutter '50/60' and general aperture '5.6(eg)' and set the ISO to 'Auto'.

Also in 'P' mode is it just me or does the camera not pick such tiny apertures now, like medium light levels ver 1.0.7 would give you f16 and massive ISO now ver 1.1.0 keeps a more sensible aperture range.

it does feel like a totally new camera now.

Very happy

James
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:36 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes View Post
That's what you want. 1.1.0. The previous version was 1.0.7.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD