Firmware update now available (link) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 1st, 2009, 11:39 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thom View Post
Rickey that's what you're looking for! Grab it!
Oh! I thought Cris said version 1.0.7...now I know...thanks!
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
So for run'n gun you just set the shutter '50/60' and general aperture '5.6(eg)' and set the ISO to 'Auto'.
Ooh...Auto ISO. I didn't even think of that. Interesting. But how does one adjust the Auto ISO to (for example) one stop overexposed?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hi all. Loving the new firmware. I see some people referring to a pdf that outlines the changes? Can you please tell me where I can get my hands on this?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:20 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lander View Post
Hi all. Loving the new firmware. I see some people referring to a pdf that outlines the changes? Can you please tell me where I can get my hands on this?
It came along with my (Mac) download. Two items actually. A document describing the firmware update process & another describing the use of the new manual video mode. I will attach them to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eos5dmk2-firmup-e.pdf (154.1 KB, 438 views)
File Type: pdf movie-ib-efs.pdf (166.8 KB, 683 views)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:02 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I live in a PAL region and this firmware has been great. Reason being that I have this very annoying flickering shooting with video in a room lit with fluorescent lighting. Not sure if I could change the shutter speed prior to the firmware upgrade, but now I just dial it until the flickering disappear.

By the way, why the 1/60 shutter speed recommended by so many here. I can't use 1/60 as this produces the flickering. But I am fine with 1/30 and 1/50.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:18 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
It came along with my (Mac) download. Two items actually. A document describing the firmware update process & another describing the use of the new manual video mode. I will attach them to this post.
Awesome. Thanks so much for that!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:50 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Mark: In manual mode, the exposure is entirely dictated by what you dial in for aperture+shutter+ISO. The concept of exposure compensation doesn't make sense here. Okay say if you have it at 1/50, f1.4 @3200 and it is over-exposed. You say you want to use exposure compensation and dial it down 1 stop, well exposure comp doen't exist in manual mode, but all you would need to do is adjust either aperture, shutter, or ISO down 1 stop to achieve proper exposure.

Exposure compensation only makes sense if there is at least one variable that is automatically set by the camera. Thus in 5D2's movie mode's auto mode, everything is automatically set and adjusted by camera based on the reflective meter's readout of the exposure level of the scene and then that is further fine-tuned by the exposure compensation level you have dialed in.

That being said, all of that workflow is grandfathered in from the photo world.. in the video world, one would adjust the gain(ISO) more often than the shutter speed. So given this fact, it would make sense for the aperture and ISO to be assigned to the two dedicated dials, as opposed to the stock configuration where ISO is accessed via a function button. Perhaps Tramm can introduce a hack to allow this reassignment?
Um, you're missing the point. With auto ISO engaged something is automatic, and thus it absolutely would have been beneficial to have both exposure lock and exposure compensation. In fact, that would be ideal for anyone running and gunning, but I'm not complaining, this was a huge step in the right direction.

Last edited by Bill Binder; June 2nd, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
Um, you're missing the point. With auto iso engaged something is automatic, and thus it absolutely would have been beneficial to have both exposure lock and exposure compensation. In fact, that would ideal for anyone running and gunning, but I'm not complaining, this was a huge step in the right direction.
Ahh didn't realize the AUTO ISO setting. I never use it anyways.. always set ISO appropriate to my scene and change if necessary.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post

Impression 5: This is neat: The exposre + or - "needle" that we previously operated by adjusting wheel up and down, now floats, and registers whether camera considere setting to be under or over exposed.
Yep just like my XH-A1s.....brilliant! Thank you Canon!!!!!

Thanks again Chris H. for the heads up!

*smiling ear to ear this morning*
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM   #40
Wrangler

Is Christmas in June!

Got a ton of stuff on my desk, but am tempted to drop everything and install this now.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #41
Major Player

Can't open downloaded firmware

It say's it will self extract after downloading. I double click the icon and still won't open.
Im using a Mac Pro OSX Tiger, I even tried to open it with Stuffit Expander with no result.
Anyone here having the same problem?

Last edited by Rickey Brillantes; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Is Christmas in June!

Got a ton of stuff on my desk, but am tempted to drop everything and install this now.
Me too... but I dropped everything, and did it anyway... Wow! I only had the 5d for 3 days before the upgrade, so I'd just messed with it a few times before the upgrade. I'm now back to my pile of stuff, but thinking of the possibilities...
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM   #43
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes View Post
It say's it will self extract after downloading. I double click the icon and still won't open.
Im using a Mac Pro OSX Tiger, I even tried to open it with Stuffit Expander with no result.
Anyone here having the same problem?
Are you sure you downloaded the Mac version not Windows.

It worked just perfectly for me.

No problem with the install.

Canon has done a fine job with this f/w update. I just did some testing and it seems very smooth, works exactly like you would want it to.

Now the camera is really a pro vid cam. Still in a SLR form factor.

I will be using it a lot more now.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
EDIT: It looks like manual control in video mode only works when "Movie Display" is selected. In "Stills display" and "Exposure simulation" it still would stop down my lens.
I confirmed, thank you for that observation in advance. Saved me time and potential frustration.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Are you sure you downloaded the Mac version not Windows.

It worked just perfectly for me.

No problem with the install.

Canon has done a fine job with this f/w update. I just did some testing and it seems very smooth, works exactly like you would want it to.

Now the camera is really a pro vid cam. Still in a SLR form factor.

I will be using it a lot more now.
Yup! The OSX version .dmg, Are you running Tiger or Leopard?
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD