The next step firmware for canon. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The next step firmware for canon.

Im so happy with canon for the new update. seem like canon listening to here costumer ( a bit ) but i still feel like missing some thing here, so now we gonna point out the way for canon.
Next Step Is:

1. Rolling Shutter Issue .

2. Compression Video, ( for me i will trade from 15mm per shoot to 3mm to 5mm for the uncompress raw or higher bit rate. or Fix the Crushing Black )

3. Frame Rate. 25 and 24 ( and high speed from 60fps to 100fps ) i think they can do it.

4. Other Function anyone?.

I'm not saying canon have to do all of this in next update. But hey they can chose some of them and include in the next firmware right? at least they support there product.

anyone? any idea?

Cheers
Bunseng Chuor
Bunseng Chuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunseng Chuor View Post
1. Rolling Shutter Issue.
This is hardware limited. Maybe they can speed things up slightly with firmware, but probably not. It has to do with the sensor speed.

Expect this in a next generation camera.

Quote:
2. Compression Video, ( for me i will trade from 15mm per shoot to 3mm to 5mm for the uncompress raw or higher bit rate. or Fix the Crushing Black )
This might be possible - with a very fast memory card - but unlikely. Again, it's a good candidate (along with HDMI at full resolution) in the next gen cam.

Regarding crushed blacks, have you tried Cineform Neoscene yet? Also, you can make custom presets. I don't think crushed blacks are a problem anymore.

Quote:
3. Frame Rate. 25 and 24 ( and high speed from 60fps to 100fps ) i think they can do it.
24/25p is almost certainly possible. (Just add a long wait state after each scan - though I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that.) I think the highest possible rate would be 40 fps, based on the rolling shutter times that Mark Hahn and I have measured. 40 fps is barely worth it.

I've already predicted we will get 24/25p before the holiday (Christmas) sales season.

Faster rates - possibly when windowed down - would be a good feature for a next gen cam.

Quote:
4. Other Function anyone?.
Audio gain control and monitoring. (Maybe Magic Lantern will solve this.)

To be honest, I'm REALLY HAPPY having manual controls. The camera feels 100x more competent shooting video than before.
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah..
720 at 60 to 100fps. for got to mention.

rolling shutter, it could be fix. sin the canon and nikon use cmos Sensor we have noted a lot deference on the jelly look. and i have seen D2 nuke have the software to fix this( it not release yet). but seen it have be fix in software, i think it can be fix in the firmware it self.

cheers
Bunseng Chuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Jon, youre saying youve measured the pixel rate to around 82MP/s (1920x1080x40)? So it would quite possible for canon to enable 1280x720 video with about an APS-C/super35mm crop with framerates up to 88fps? Sounds good to me! It'd be nice to see 1920x800 video up to 50fps too. I wonder what the limit for the encoding hardware is though.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
So it would quite possible for canon to enable 1280x720 video with about an APS-C/super35mm crop with framerates up to 88fps? Sounds good to me! It'd be nice to see 1920x800 video up to 50fps too. I wonder what the limit for the encoding hardware is though.
Wouldn't it be a fair assumption to think the current hardware is already maxed out...? If not, I bet we would've seen some additional upgrades along with the new firmware. No..?

-- peer
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
Jon, youre saying youve measured the pixel rate to around 82MP/s (1920x1080x40)? So it would quite possible for canon to enable 1280x720 video with about an APS-C/super35mm crop with framerates up to 88fps? Sounds good to me! It'd be nice to see 1920x800 video up to 50fps too. I wonder what the limit for the encoding hardware is though.
Rather than pixel rate, I looked at the line rate. I have no idea if the sensor is designed to allow windowing.

With my sloppy flash unit, I found 410 equivalent lines of "dead time". The camera scans 1080 lines, then rests for 410. In theory, the fasted frame rate at 1080p would be

30 * (1080 + 410)/1080 => 41.38 fps

Of course, this assumes that the camera could tolerate the sensor scanning continuously. This is a huge assumption. It's likely that the processor has background tasks to complete that it can only do when the sensor is at rest. The sensor could overheat. And on and on.

It's fun to theorize, but I'm pretty confident that we won't see any rates faster than 30 fps in this model.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Major Player

My "doable" feature request list would be:
1) 24P/25P
2) Better monitoring during recording (external monitor)
3) Magic Lantern features

As a dream, I would LOVE to be able to overcrank at 720P. I had just given up on that thought with this camera, knowing the sensors couldn't handle more than 1080-30P, but that's because I never thought about bringing it down to 720P.
Ahh... but I'd wager Jon is right, that's for another camera.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post

As a dream, I would LOVE to be able to overcrank at 720P. I had just given up on that thought with this camera, knowing the sensors couldn't handle more than 1080-30P, but that's because I never thought about bringing it down to 720P.
Ahh... but I'd wager Jon is right, that's for another camera.
Bringing it down to 720P means scanning the full sensor and then downrezzing it to 720P.. Still the same amount of info is read from the sensor... unless you want to do a cropped mode, then there's potential of squeezing more FPS out of it..

If Canon can implement a cropped mode on the 5D2 and then allow you to mount XL-series lens on it imagine that!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD