DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Any Change with the HDMI Output? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236576-any-change-hdmi-output.html)

Tim Polster June 1st, 2009 11:05 PM

Any Change with the HDMI Output?

Just wondering if anybody with the new 5D firmware has tested the HDMI output to see if a full resolution image is sent out?

Jon Fairhurst June 1st, 2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1152583)
Just wondering if anybody with the new 5D firmware has tested the HDMI output to see if a full resolution image is sent out?

Crap! I crashed my camera!!! (Removing the battery fixed it.)

My monitor (a 23" Acer) has HDMI, but doesn't support 480i through the HDMI connector.

I tested the HDMI output in live view. It's the same as it ever was. I then pressed record. Sure enough, the output dialed back to 480i. In the past, my camera would then exit live view. Tonight, with the new firmware, my camera locked up.

Anybody buying an HDMI monitor really needs to check that the monitor supports 480i as well as 1080p!

Tim Polster June 2nd, 2009 12:00 AM

Just curious Jon, If one were to hook up a Nano Flash to the live output of the camera without pressing record, would the image be uncompressed 1080p?

Also, during the live operation, not recording, are all of the controls active?

This could be good news for Nano Flash users as one would not need to engage the camera's recording to get the image.

Mark Hahn June 2nd, 2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1152617)
Just curious Jon, If one were to hook up a Nano Flash to the live output of the camera without pressing record, would the image be uncompressed 1080p?

Also, during the live operation, not recording, are all of the controls active?

This could be good news for Nano Flash users as one would not need to engage the camera's recording to get the image.

When not recording (in live view) you get a square on the screen that won't go away.

Tim Polster June 2nd, 2009 12:07 AM

That is a shame.

Is the square some kind of center marker?

I would have to wonder why they would cripple the live output of this camera?

Jon Fairhurst June 2nd, 2009 12:41 AM

The real problem is that the menu screen is 4x3. Canon squeezes the image to fit in the 16x9 frame and allow menu information to show. Anyway, the image is smaller than 1080p, and they throw away lines and columns to get it.

If you thought that aliasing was bad with the normal 5D output, it's way worse with the HDMI Live View output.

James Miller June 2nd, 2009 02:20 AM

Have you noticed if you take a still picture of something that would cause the aliasing moiré then size it down to the published resolution of the 5D's screen.

Then enlarge this back up to 1920 and put it next to a movie clip of the same shot they look very similar.

It's as if the 1920 is just and interpolated upscaled output of the screen.

Tried with different interpolation settings. Will post a few sample shots, but the aliasing is a close match as also the quality of the image.