DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   What is this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236585-what.html)

Bob Thompson June 2nd, 2009 03:47 AM

What is this?

Since the firmware upgrade I have notice a strange rectangular box on the right hand side of the LCD under the red recording light. It doesn't always appear and I had not noticed it before the update. Any clues?

Inside this box are some solid squares similar to a level meter.

Bob

Wayne Avanson June 2nd, 2009 04:43 AM

I think those are the 'writing to the card' meter boxes. As I understand it, they show up when the camera is struggling to write data to the card fast enough. (maybe someone will elaborate or correct me if I'm off-mark)

I have seen these (pre firmware update) once or twice before, but never got it past one grey box.

Avey

Bob Thompson June 2nd, 2009 04:47 AM

Avery,

Thanks for that, today was the 1st time I had tried a 32Gb 133x Transend card, normally I use a UDMA 16Gb card and have never seen them.

Bob

Wayne Avanson June 2nd, 2009 06:49 AM

Bob,

I've just been playing around with the cam and the firmware update and have noticed they seem to kick in more than they used to. I Use Sandisk 16gig Extreme III and IV. The bars seem to appear for a second or two just a few seconds after pressing record.

Maybe it's just getting into its settings and getting the flow of info through to the card sorted before it settles down.

Maybe, who knows…
Avey

Bob Thompson June 2nd, 2009 06:55 AM

Avey,

I tried a Transcend 16Gb UDMA 300x and no sign of the box. You assumation I think is correct as I only saw it briefly at the start of the shot with the slower card. On playback all was OK

Bob

Yang Wen June 2nd, 2009 07:01 AM

That box indicates camera buffer.. When the white box goes up and fills the entire box, that means the buffer is being filled and the card is simply too slow. When I use my 16GB Kingston 133x card, I only see a single white box and that goes away after a couple seconds after I start filming so it's fine..

Bob Thompson June 2nd, 2009 07:06 AM

Thanks Yang Wen, I will have to buy some more UDMA 300x cards

Bob

Tramm Hudson June 2nd, 2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1152676)
I think those are the 'writing to the card' meter boxes. As I understand it, they show up when the camera is struggling to write data to the card fast enough. (maybe someone will elaborate or correct me if I'm off-mark)

I have seen these (pre firmware update) once or twice before, but never got it past one grey box.

My 8GB SanDisk Extreme III card was prone to locking up the camera with the full-buffer meters. About five other users on another forum reported the same problem with the same make and model CF card; I think all of us just bought new cards from another vendor and the problem went away.

The official name in the firmware is DlgErrRecordingBusy and is called when the record buffer reaches greater than 50%. The other bar values are 60%, 80% and 90%.

Jim Miller June 2nd, 2009 05:47 PM

I have never seen the box when using the SanDisk Extreme III 8gb card even when shooting until the card is full. Not sure why. My normal card for video is the Lexar 16gb UDMA