My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #16
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Dan, how useful is that lens designed for APS-C sized sensors? Don't you get vignetting?
Hi Nigel:

When we meet up, you can check it out and see for yourself. I have made some pretty nice images with it. I am thinking that it will be good for walking around, following my documentary subject through the buildings and museums as well as in the car, trains, etc.

You do not get vignetting at 18.5mm bare (for interiors) and at 21.5mm or longer with the Vari ND attached. I was going to buy a proper full frame wide angle until I realized that I don't really care for many of the Nikons (I have the 28,, 2.8 D, terrible lens) and I cannot afford the Zeiss. The Canons have just started looking good with the new firmware, but once again, I already owned the Tokina.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #17
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,069
Hi Brian:

I am pretty happy with the look of the footage so far. I have only shot a couple of things so far but the images are good, I like the look.

I need to mess around with the custom picture settings, I am getting sick of the stock 5D MKII look. I would like less crushed blacks, less color saturation and less sharpening so I will be experimenting with developing my own look. I am shooting all over France and I think France will look better through a more Impressionist desaturated palette personally.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #18
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
(Note: Vimeo's change to 24p does cause some artifact issues)
As of yesterday Vimeo now leaves 30fps HD footage alone & doesn't hack it down to a lower frame rate any more. Vimeo HD now MP4? in the General Discussion Forum on Vimeo
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 90
Hey Dan, wonderful rig! Maybe a little intimidating for camera shy people!!! ;-DD

That zoom recorder should be horizontal, not vertical. It has a couple of mics in XY, so you can pan them L-R (if recorded horizontal)...
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
As of yesterday Vimeo now leaves 30fps HD footage alone & doesn't hack it down to a lower frame rate any more. Vimeo HD now MP4? in the General Discussion Forum on Vimeo
Thats funny cause I uploaded mp4, and I don't think my original shows the lost frames, but I will recheck.

Edit: Rechecked original, and it doesn't show the issues displayed on the Vimeo playback.
__________________
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #21
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Thats funny cause I uploaded mp4, and I don't think my original shows the lost frames, but I will recheck.

Edit: Rechecked original, and it doesn't show the issues displayed on the Vimeo playback.
This must mean that Vimeo has screwed up the compression in some other way then. At least the 30fps>25fps horrible conversion jitters & stutters shouldn't be present any more.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #22
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hi Nigel:

When we meet up, you can check it out and see for yourself.
We will be able to compare it to the Tamron 20-40mm F2.7-3.5 that I just bought which is a FF lens.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #23
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancashire UK
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hi Brian:

I am pretty happy with the look of the footage so far. I have only shot a couple of things so far but the images are good, I like the look.

I need to mess around with the custom picture settings, I am getting sick of the stock 5D MKII look. I would like less crushed blacks, less color saturation and less sharpening so I will be experimenting with developing my own look. I am shooting all over France and I think France will look better through a more Impressionist desaturated palette personally.

Dan
Someone mentioned a style they'd done recently and allowed us to download or mod it. I have it in my cam and it's nice. Just the things you mention, less crushed blacks, slightly less saturation and not quite as sharp. Neucon I think it was called. It'll be on this forum somewhere

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #24
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,069
Thanks Avey, I'll hunt down and give it a try.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancashire UK
Posts: 496
It's here Dan. From Luis de la Cerda in the Optimum Color Temp thread.

It's subtle but I like it. anyway, he says that we're free to mess with it how we want, so maybe it's a good starting place for your tweaking.

Avey
Attached Files
File Type: zip Neucon3b.zip (1.7 KB, 365 views)
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #26
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,069
Thanks Avey. You are making it too easy for me. Now if I only didn't have a show and two articles due, I could get out my 5D MKII and mess about with with it. I have been to busy to even update the firmware yet!

D
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancashire UK
Posts: 496
Dude,

your priorities are all wrong manů

:-)
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #28
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
It's here Dan. From Luis de la Cerda in the Optimum Color Temp thread.

It's subtle but I like it. anyway, he says that we're free to mess with it how we want, so maybe it's a good starting place for your tweaking.

Avey
Thanks Avey...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #29
New Boot
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: california
Posts: 19
my new 5D set up

total set up cost me around 500 bucks
Attached Thumbnails
My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-img_3971.jpg   My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-img_3972.jpg  

My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-img_3973.jpg  
Minh Khang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #30
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minh Khang View Post
my new 5D set up

total set up cost me around 500 bucks
That Vizio monitor might be a little cumbersome for run and gun.
Seriously, did you fabricate the pieces? Looks good.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network