My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Yes, I know. I just threw it on there without thinking about the imaging. It's all moot point anyway because when I arrived in Europe, the Bogen mount that I had bought turned out to be defective, allowing the H4N to rotate on the hot shoe, I tried taking the Bogen mount apart but there is a sealed sort of bearing/sleeve system on the main shaft of the hot shoe mount that is not accessible so I ended up only using the H4N for some ambient while carrying it in a bag and for the sit down interviews. Kind of sucked but I had no other way to mount it and the H4N with an XLR input from my Countryman is just a little too large to stick in a pocket.

I also never even used the Bushhawk, all of the French soldiers running around Paris with machine guns kind of made me think twice, they were everywhere and there were video security cameras everywhere, almost as many as in London. It was even tough going through security on the way home with the Bushhawk in pieces. The security guy pulled it out, asked me what it was, after I explained, he had to consult with three other security people, then they wanted to have me explain how it was used, etc. The Bushhawk works really nicely but it can get you into trouble.

I ended up using a neoprene camera strap braced around my neck and body with the 5D MKII at full extension. I was able to get surprisingly smooth pans and tilts with some small jib arm type movements even. Not as smooth while walking but probably usable for a doc.

It was a learning experience, that's for sure. Not even sure I want to use the Bushhawk around LA, I don't want to get shot. I even wrapped it all over with blue electrical tape but it still looks pretty militaristic. It's too bad because its a great product but I am a bit paranoid to use it for run and gun or doc. If you were on a set, no problem but just running around in public with it? I don't know.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Yes, I know. I just threw it on there without thinking about the imaging.
I figured that was the case.

Quote:
I also never even used the Bushhawk, all of the French soldiers running around Paris with machine guns kind of made me think twice, they were everywhere and there were video security cameras everywhere, almost as many as in London. [...] It's too bad because its a great product but I am a bit paranoid to use it for run and gun or doc.
Yea, but it's called "run and gun" though ;^)

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD