My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!

With a wide angle lens and this rig, I am actually getting some pretty good handheld footage.The 50mm 1.4 becomes more challenging although still usable. 85mm and longer, not so much, need a tripod or the monopod. The Bushhawk is pretty impressive for the money, not as rock solid as a Zacuto package but about 1/10th the cost.

Pictured
Canon 5D MKII
Tokina 12-24 F4.0
Singh Ray Vari ND (not pictured)
Manfrotto 482LC hot shoe mount
Zoom H4N
Gig Wig
Zacuto Z-Finder
Bushhawk 300sV
Bushhawk QR400 quick release plate

Bushhawk even includes a nice wireless mic receiver bracket that screws on the right side handle (not pictured because I am not using wireless for the next shoot with this rig).

Enjoy!

D
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Major Player

How do you like the Z-finder?
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Dan, check out my related post "Run 'n Gun Hands Free" (I guess we posted simultaneously).
Ralph Waylonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

available

The rear view finder that covers the video screen at the back of the 5D where can that be purchased ,as using the camera in the video mode the screen is difficult to see on a bright day
Stan Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Atilano View Post
How do you like the Z-finder?
Love it, it is well worth the money. The upcoming V2 will be even better with better mounting system.

Dan
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Kern View Post
The rear view finder that covers the video screen at the back of the 5D where can that be purchased ,as using the camera in the video mode the screen is difficult to see on a bright day
Z-Finder - Zacuto

Dan
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Major Player

The BushHawk looks great - I was just looking for something like that, came across this instead:

Agonic - Stedi-Stock Home Page

Not nearly as nice as the BushHawk or Zacuto rigs, but for < $25 on Amazon I figured I couldn't go wrong - just got here today and it does the job - although the adjustability of the BushHawk looks like a great feature so I may have to upgrade. Still, another option for those looking to put more of their money into glass rather than grips...
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Dan,

Maybe a stupid question but if you place it on your right should and hold it with your righthand is it difficult to push the "set" button

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

It really doesn't have to cost a bunch either. This is all self made.
Attached Thumbnails
My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-dsc08271.jpg   My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-dsc08264.jpg  

My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-dsc08263.jpg   My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-dsc08261.jpg  

My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!-dsc08274.jpg  
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Dan,

Maybe a stupid question but if you place it on your right should and hold it with your righthand is it difficult to push the "set" button

Bob
Hi Bob:

It does involve hand switching. I normally would hold it with my left to begin rolling. I then switch to the right to hold and use my left hand to focus and rotate the Vari ND. I use both hands on the Bushhawk if the subject will be staying at a constant distance and I need the maximum amount of steadiness. This would be for walking and talking type shots or following the subject through a building.

For stationary shots where I am just panning and tilting, I switch off at will. It's not ideal, ideal would be some sort of remote focus but that won't happen with this camera. I could do remote focus with my HPX170.

Overall, this thing is about as perfect as I can find ergonomically, it feels right. The camera is in pretty close to my body, I can put my eye comfortably to the Z-Finder, the camera is mounted on a quick release plate, the entire stock is pretty light, around 2lbs. The shoulder strap is a lifesaver, well worth the extra $10.00.

I also like how it can break down and fit into my camera backpack. This thing is going to be used a lot.

Dan
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post

Holy monkey, four hundred bucks for that? I'll spend the couple hundred more for an external HD monitor instead... yowza.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Buying the best is never cheap and Zacuto usually makes the best, it is in a whole other class than the Hoodman. External monitors are cool but more weight, more money, extra batteries to mind, hard to focus in daylight, you need to use a sunshade, making the whole rig ridiculously over sized and much heavier. The 5D MKII also drops it's HD output to SD when rolling, focus is a joke in SD. You cannot accurately focus 1080 Hi Def with an SD 480p monitor. Fine if you are on sticks, but for hand held operating, how are you going to track HD focus in SD?

There is a method to my madness with this rig, it is for run and gun documentary shooting. No follow focus or matte box, no monitor. Also, when I rent cameras that cost more to rent for two weeks than this entire 5D MKII rig, cost is relative. 5D MKIIs are close to disposable for many working pros, I will be buying at least one or two more for a multi-camera project I have coming up. They are a lot of bang for very little buck. ;-)

D
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Tokina 12-24 F4.0
Dan, how useful is that lens designed for APS-C sized sensors? Don't you get vignetting?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
..There is a method to my madness with this rig, it is for run and gun documentary shooting. No follow focus or matte box, no monitor. .D
I have to agree that the the shoulder brace and loupe combo is one best ways to shoot on the move. I started learning about it on a hike last weekend. I just posted the attached to demonstrate. Not perfect but the more I practice, the better I get about finding focus:

Handheld With the Canon 5D Mark II on Vimeo

(Note: Vimeo's change to 24p does cause some artifact issues)
Old June 5th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hey Dan, how do you rate the image quality?
I suppose once the audio is mod'd and some other doodads are added, this is about a $5k camera. Forgetting ergo's, how nice is the footage?

'Tis a strange looking beast.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD