DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Run 'n Gun Hands Free (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236758-run-n-gun-hands-free.html)

Ralph Waylonis June 4th, 2009 02:25 PM

Run 'n Gun Hands Free

2 Attachment(s)
Tired of shoulder mounted, gun stock barreled, hand gripped, follow focused, EXPENSIVE solutions? I was. So, I have a solution which cost me about $100 to put together. I wore it for 8 hours yesterday and would have no problem putting it on again today for 8 more hours. These shots are courtesy of Peer Landa at the end of the day. Do I look stressed or tired? BTW, can someone tell me how to put the attached images into my post?

Jon Fairhurst June 4th, 2009 04:30 PM

Ralph can you provide more details?

BTW, if you have a wide or fisheye lens, try turning the camera around to face you, and film yourself as you walk around town. Body cams give an interesting perspective!

Ralph Waylonis June 4th, 2009 05:02 PM

Expanded Description

Sorry for the abbreviated original post. I would love to post images with explanation, but I seem to only be able to attach image files.

Basically, you can mount any tripod (this one is a Gitzo Traveller carbon 6X fiber) and any head combination that you are comfortable with (this is a Gitzo G2380 fluid head). I have mounted a heavier duty Gitzo GT2330EX aluminum tripod - heavier but with more stability and the abillity to lock the legs in whatever position you want. The tripod is mounted on my hips which supports the weight of the camera, lens, head and tripod very comfortably, much the same way as a backpack transfers weight to your hips, not your arms, shoulders and back. I use a combination of rock climbing harnesses to mount two unextended tripod legs. Two shoulder straps can be tightened to adjust the height of the mount. Also, the center column can be further adjusted.

There are two postitions. The rest position (hands free) can be adjusted so that the camera swings away from your face at a comfortable distance. The shooting position has either the left or the right arm (I prefer the right) slung around the tripod center column pulling the column towards you so that the camera LCD viewer is against your eye while your hand is on the focus ring (no lifting here ... nice relaxed position). Stability is great since the camera is being supported by your hips. Your other hand is free to push any buttons it can reach, zoom the telephoto, or do nothing at all.

I have tried out many combinations of gear, from follow focus to shoulder mounts, but this is by far the most stable and versatile setup I have found, my hands can touch the camera without disturbing the image stability and I can walk normally (no interference from the tripod). And the best, to remove the camera, either quick release the plate and put it on another set of sticks, or quick release one of the straps, lift the tripod out of the harness and set it on the ground ready to shoot.

If there's more interest, I'll be glad to post more information.

Ralph Waylonis June 4th, 2009 05:13 PM

Also, since these are relatively flat straps, if you feel geeky wearing this stuff, you can put on a shirt over it and just have the center column protruding from the front of your shirt. On second thought ... that might have the opposite effect.

Dan Brockett June 4th, 2009 06:52 PM

Hi Ralph:

This website does not allow pictures in the actual posts, just links. You would be much better off though posting larger JPGs. THose .TIFs are small and you can't really see your rig.

Sounds like an interesting idea if you want to shoot everything at level. The beauty of the shoulder mount setups are that it is easy to instantly grab a low angle, although I would have to take the Z-Finder off to frame it.

D

Ralph Waylonis June 4th, 2009 07:49 PM

Dan ... thanks. When I view my post, I only see the links, not the actual images. When I view your post, I see only the images with no links. Perhaps that's a function of one of the Miscellaneous Options? Will change the tif size.

Anyway, this Gitzo tripod can get fairly low when it's on the ground. Certainly not as easy as just setting your gizmo down. Neither of us is constrained to an eye-level POV since we can sit, squat etc.

Ralph Waylonis June 4th, 2009 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have increased the image sizes.

Dan Brockett June 4th, 2009 09:11 PM

Much better, now I can see them. I have to physically download your TIFs to see them, the browser cannot see them (FireFox on Mac OS 10.4.1)

Interesting setup, very nice idea.

Dan

Ralph Waylonis June 5th, 2009 05:33 PM

Shot some today. Rock solid even at 105mm. Hopefully, will post some of the samples this weekend. Also took the rig for a ride on my Xooter (like a Razor scooter but smoother and more stable). Interesting. Was also able to use my DAT and boom mic to record audio while I was operating the camera. Crazy. Going out to shoot more.

Dan Brockett June 5th, 2009 07:07 PM

I have a motorized skateboard. I have been itching to try it out for some shots but I have to be careful around here, we have repressive cops who would love to write me a ticket for an off-road vehicle on the street (its gas powered).

D