DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Just ordered my 5DmkII, what next??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236872-just-ordered-my-5dmkii-what-next.html)

Scott Gold June 6th, 2009 04:11 PM

Just ordered my 5DmkII, what next???

I'm so stoked right now....I just ordered a 5DmkII, Battery grip, 2 Extreme III 16GB cards and an extra battery. This is going to be quite an upgrade from my 40D.

Do you have any tips, suggestions or pointers for a new owner? I can't wait to start using the video features. Thanks!

Stan Kern June 6th, 2009 04:59 PM

new into the 5d

just read all the threads,ther is a lot of info here--and don't drop it

Ryan Mueller June 6th, 2009 05:10 PM

Congratulations on your purchase! You're going to love this camera. I'd say the most important things that you need, especially if you plan on shooting a fair amount of video, are a good video tripod and some form of card reader to speed up the transfers. Also, don't expect to get great audio from the cam stock. If audio is a concern, start looking into some of the other options mentioned in the forum. Other than that, just play around and have fun. Just don't expect to be able to edit the native H.264 clips. It is pretty much a necessity to work in some form of intermediate codec.

Ry

Paulo Teixeira June 6th, 2009 05:34 PM

With the new firmware update that Canon announced you’ll most likely be far happier with the video feature than a lot of early adopters. Since you already have an SLR camera, you probably don’t really need any lens advise but maybe you should check out some of the things being made by Zacuto.
Introducing DSLR Gorilla Kits on Vimeo

Scott Gold June 6th, 2009 05:38 PM

I'm really interested in hooking up my Rode NTG-2 mic to the camera as well. I just started a thread here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...ml#post1154997 to see if it's possible.

Eric Darling June 6th, 2009 05:46 PM

What do you owners of the 5D Mk II use for converting your H.264 media to an editable format?

Scott Gold June 6th, 2009 05:55 PM

I've mainly heard NeoScene, but I wonder if there are other alternatives.....

Richard Hunter June 6th, 2009 06:09 PM

I've used Canopus/Grass Valley Procoder 3 very successfully (i.e. fast) to convert to Canopus HQ codec. I wouldn't buy it just for that though, but if you have it already it's a great solution.

Richard

Jay Bloomfield June 6th, 2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Gold (Post 1155006)
I've mainly heard NeoScene, but I wonder if there are other alternatives.....

In Vegas Pro 9, you can use the XDCAM HD 422 codec at 50 mbps. I functions quite effectively as an intermediate codec for 5d2 MOV files. First, you use Vegas to transcode your MOV file to a MXF file. Then start a new Vegas project and edit the MXF from then on, until you need to encode to final format. You can use XDCAM HD 422, just like you would use CFHD.

Brian Luce June 6th, 2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 1154995)
With the new firmware update that Canon announced you’ll most likely be far happier with the video feature than a lot of early adopters. Since you already have an SLR camera, you probably don’t really need any lens advise but maybe you should check out some of the things being made by Zacuto.
Introducing DSLR Gorilla Kits on Vimeo

I played with one today at Samy's Camera. The LCD was a bit of a disappointment. The salesman said there's already an upgrade? Sounds like a line. Also, with an $800 L series 17-40 lens it gives a huge barrel roll affect during pan, even at wide angle.

How will you lens yours Scott?

Chris Hurd June 6th, 2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1155044)
The salesman said there's already an upgrade? Sounds like a line.

It's the truth -- you should read DV Info Net more often. See Canon USA announces 5D Mk. II firmware update DV Info Net

Brian Luce June 6th, 2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1155046)
It's the truth -- you should read DV Info Net more often. See Canon USA announces 5D Mk. II firmware update DV Info Net

No, I know about the manual control firmware upgrade. It'd be hard NOT to know about that. I wasn't specific, what I meant was the salesman's response to my disappointment in the LCD was that there was an "Improved" LCD on the newest models.

Paulo Teixeira June 6th, 2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield (Post 1155040)
In Vegas Pro 9, you can use the XDCAM HD 422 codec at 50 mbps.

I can see how going from AVCHD to XDCAM-HD 422 can be a good idea but I don’t think using that method for the 5D Mark II is a good idea since your going from h.264 at around 40MBPS to MPG2 at around 50MBPS. I understand the h.264 implementation in the 5D Mark II isn’t that great but still.

Jon Fairhurst June 7th, 2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1155049)
...I meant was the salesman's response to my disappointment in the LCD was that there was an "Improved" LCD on the newest models.

That's "a line". The LCD is actually pretty good. It's just small and in SD, which is tough for achieving critical focus. In general, people are using loupes (for shoulder rigs) and monitors (for larger rigs), but the monitor is only in SD as well, so its only advantage over the LCD is size.

Olof Ekbergh June 7th, 2009 08:09 AM

If you are used to a 40D then it will be really easy to transition into the mkII.

If you use Canon lenses, you probably have a bunch from the 40D, you may find that shooting video using the eye piece is a great way to go with the new firmware.

Set up your shot as if you are setting up a still in manual (use 1/60 shutter for normal video look).

Snap a still and then you can view the result including histogram. Make any adjustments necessary, add ND for smaller f-stop, relight or whatever.

I find this is also the best time to use auto focus, (you can set up a number of Q spots).

Then switch to live view your settings will stay. Now just roll and hit your focus Q's.

I find that even in bright sunlight the LCD is fine for monitoring composition, especially with a shade.

This is a very controlled way of working, but most of my shoots are done that way. A lot of fussing with light reflectors, talent Q spots or just very careful framing. And for that this camera is fantastic.

I am not saying you can't run and gun with a mkII, but there are better cameras for that.

If you have a programmable cable release for the 40D then you can use that on the mkII for fantastic time lapse. I have even read in this forum about people doing HiDynamicRange time-lapse. I will have to try this, it sounds incredible.

You just got a fantastic tool, enjoy!