DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   More Zacuto stuff for DSLRs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/237257-more-zacuto-stuff-dslrs.html)

Wayne Avanson June 12th, 2009 04:28 PM

More Zacuto stuff for DSLRs

So I just watched he video for the new Gorilla Kits for the DSLR video cameras and let me start off by saying I have great respect for these Zacuto guys, their stuff is great and their enthusiasm for all things film and video is infectious.

But about halfway through when they casually throw out the prices for these bits of tubing and clamps, I have to chuckle to myself…

Don Miller June 12th, 2009 06:18 PM

Wayne, your doing it all wrong. You pick the female model you like best and order the items she is holding.

Zacuto doesn't get how to organize products from the customer point of view. Could they say "for a 5dII, these are your options." and then show how the options vary? No, clever names and product categories rule.

Sean Seah June 20th, 2009 01:20 AM

At least the new stuff is a lot more suitable for run n gun events. Price is still high but more affordable at least.

Don Miller June 20th, 2009 11:29 AM

The options for the 5D are becoming nice. Most of what I have seen is not particularly sophisticated and functionally reproducible by new competitors.
It's interesting how these companies have managed to maintain their high margins so far. I suppose initial demand is large. The pricing model based on very low volume sales probably will not hold with DSLR video, however. It seems there's enough interest to have some real competition. If DSLR video becomes a larger niche, selling a couple pieces of molded plastic and a couple of short pieces of aluminum for $500 won't be a viable business anymore.

Glen Elliott June 20th, 2009 11:38 AM

I applaud Zacuto for producing products for us and the more products the better. Competition is good. I also think they do an excellent job of marketing by use of casual looking round-table chat sessions about the new products. Very unique approach!

However.....and this is a big one. The sole reason I've stayed far away from their products is the obscene pricing of them. I under there is R&D involved however their pricing is wayyyy to high in the stratosphere.

Tom Daigon June 20th, 2009 06:17 PM

Ditto

Ditto. I will use the combination of a tripod for static and a Glidecam X-10 for handheld
before I would buy Zacuto.

Wayne Avanson June 21st, 2009 04:47 AM

I appreciate the comments guys. My own personal view is that I don't mind paying a bit of a premium for premium products whether brand new/innovative/high quality/exclusive. But I draw the line when a company takes the P.

Same with the iPhone to start with. Here in the UK both Apple and the carrier 02 went to town on the prices and much as I wanted, one, it was waaay too much.

I feel the same about Zacuto. Like as mentioned though, if the DSLR market explodes as we suspect it might over the next few years, there'll be plenty of options.

That's my little moan and I'm done.

Avey

Chad Dyle June 21st, 2009 08:47 PM

I've been looking through their catalog as well as watching the videos. They have some awesome equipment and you could create just about anything in the world with it, but it would cost more than my 5d w/lens to purchase their stuff.
On that note, what do you guys think about CAVISION? They have a lot of equipment and you can build any configuration you need. I just didn't know about the quality. I know its not going to be high-end like Zacuto or Red Rock, but I just don't want to spend $$ on something that is going to fall apart in a matter of weeks.
Thoughts?

Dylan Couper June 22nd, 2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 1161654)
On that note, what do you guys think about CAVISION? They have a lot of equipment and you can build any configuration you need. I just didn't know about the quality. I know its not going to be high-end like Zacuto or Red Rock, but I just don't want to spend $$ on something that is going to fall apart in a matter of weeks.
Thoughts?

What on earth would give you the impression that Cavision geat would fall apart in a matter of weeks? :)

I own two Cavision matte boxes and rail setups, one bellows, one hard. I've owned them for about 6 or 7 years and they've traveled to 4 continents with me... and I wouldn't sell either of them. Also, FWIW, they've been in business for sixteen years.

Chad Dyle June 23rd, 2009 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=Dylan Couper;1162096]What on earth would give you the impression that Cavision geat would fall apart in a matter of weeks? :)

Dylan,

I have nothing to go on other than their pricing. I know that they are much less expensive than Zacuto, but I also think that Zacuto is a bit overpriced. I just wanted to make sure that the build quality was good. I'm going to do some more research on their products before making a decision.