Motion Perfect- If we don't Get 24p, Will this program work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 12th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Motion Perfect- If we don't Get 24p, Will this program work

I am just wondering if anyone with the Canon 5d Mark II has used Motion Perfect for converting the 5D30p to 24p. See:

Download MotionPerfect - Shareware Software - Tucows
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Personally, I will either slow the footage down to 24p, or just go with 30p. If I want to give it more stutter, I'll just give it some more light and shoot at 1/80.

If I was in PAL-land and needed to go to the tele, or if I needed to do a film-out, I'd be forced to convert.

Using software to estimate what the frames should look like doesn't sound like the path to the best quality. And the whole reason that most people want to go to 24p is simply to improve the quality of their look.

Once we get a 24p firmware update, I'll gladly shoot at that rate. In the meantime, I'm not going to sweat framerate conversion. I've seen how it can go wrong, and it ain't pretty.
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'll take that as a no from you, Jon.

People have been using software to convert to 24p with success for a lot of years. That was 60i to 24p. So I am wondering if anyone has experimented with this process. Phil Bloom has done some nice stuff using a method in Final Cut.

I have used Cineform in Vegas to convert, with some success, but high motion is an issue.

So anyone used this program for anything ?
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Major Player

I never heard of it until you mentioned it, but if you Google it, you will find a few online reviews about it.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I'll take that as a no from you, Jon.

People have been using software to convert to 24p with success for a lot of years. That was 60i to 24p. So I am wondering if anyone has experimented with this process. Phil Bloom has done some nice stuff using a method in Final Cut.

I have used Cineform in Vegas to convert, with some success, but high motion is an issue.

So anyone used this program for anything ?
Compressor with Final Cut is the standard for this kind of conversion on the Mac. I want to try MotionPerfect on my PC but the installer is still waiting on my desktop.

I did see a web site that compared four products and showed interpolated frames of each. The site was old and did not include compressor. MotionPerfect tied for best of those four. It actually looked pretty decent. The other two really sucked, including one still on the market.

I started a thread here asking some Mac user of compressor to post access to a native 30 fps file and then a 24 fps file that compressor created so I could compare the results with MotionPerfect. I got no response in that thread from any Compressor user.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Mark.. I have used the demo version. It only will do 15 second clips. So far looks pretty good.
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
I can't imagine to work with a tool that is content dependent! We need tools to help us, not to be another burden. That said, HDV and high motion are not very good friends neither...
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Major Player

compressor

Any direct link to the best way to use compressor > 24p?

I would sync externally recorded audio first

Is this really a useful workflow?
Inquiring minds Want

J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
I started a thread here asking some Mac user of compressor to post access to a native 30 fps file and then a 24 fps file that compressor created so I could compare the results with MotionPerfect. I got no response in that thread from any Compressor user.
Hi Mark... sorry I didn't see that thread - and don't have access to my editing system right now. However, I've used Compressor extentsively to change 30p to 25p. With 95% of footage it works superbly - with frames frozen at 100% any resolution / detail loss is imperceptable. I've compared dozens of frames with the original and find it very difficult in most cases to discern any degradation in the image. And this is comparing stills! It's really very good.

However, as Jon says, occassionally it really loses the plot and for half a second areas of the image get skewed all over the place. The process is also painstakingly slow.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I just did a test with Motion Perfect, slowing a 30p to slow motion at 24p. Worked well, except in got lost when a hand passed over lettering on a shirt. Really got distorted in that area briefly..
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
I just did a test with Motion Perfect, slowing a 30p to slow motion at 24p. Worked well, except in got lost when a hand passed over lettering on a shirt. Really got distorted in that area briefly..
In that sample of four they picked several frames that got "lost". All four looked lost but two looked acceptable, two looked like a modern art painting.

That is why I want to see compressor directly and fairly compared. It's all relative.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Hi Mark... sorry I didn't see that thread - and don't have access to my editing system right now. However, I've used Compressor extentsively to change 30p to 25p. With 95% of footage it works superbly - with frames frozen at 100% any resolution / detail loss is imperceptable. I've compared dozens of frames with the original and find it very difficult in most cases to discern any degradation in the image. And this is comparing stills! It's really very good.

However, as Jon says, occassionally it really loses the plot and for half a second areas of the image get skewed all over the place. The process is also painstakingly slow.
I would be very grateful if you could pick a 15 second clip straight from the 5D2 and then converted to 24 and/or 25. There should be some motion frames that stress it. I can give you somewhere to post the two or three clips. Then chris and I could try the same conversions on the PC.

There is no rush. I realize that you would be doing us a favor and not getting anything in return. Maybe you could do it for the good of mankind (forumkind?). Maybe it will be a chance for the Mac users to show off.

If you want I'll shoot and post the original footage for you.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
One general comment. When the interpolation is important, like for theatre showing, you can replace bad frames with hand-made ones from photoshop. Not fun, but possible.
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Does this help anyone???

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
I would be very grateful if you could pick a 15 second clip straight from the 5D2 and then converted to 24 and/or 25. There should be some motion frames that stress it.
I have converted a 15 second clip of some kids mucking around in a stream to 24p. Lots of motion, not a very pretty clip. In fact it really shows up motion's limitations in frame conversion. This is kindof a worst cast scenario.

When I've converted talking heads and clips with limited or predictable motion it does a great job.

I have sent you a link by PM. Anyone else who wants it can mail me and I'll let you know... not going to post it publicly as I have limited bandwidth.

Thanks,

Josh
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD