DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Jib Arm for 5D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/237374-jib-arm-5d.html)

Gilbert Khoury June 15th, 2009 09:59 AM

Jib Arm for 5D

I'm looking for a reasonably priced Jib arm for my canon 5d including the tripod. I found Kessler crane web site and they have packages. I am wondering if any of you used their cranes or do you recommend other ones cheaper?

Nick Hiltgen June 15th, 2009 11:24 AM

i just finished a short where we used one of their cranes it worked admirably, though it was a little large for what I needed.

Wayne Avanson June 15th, 2009 11:40 AM

there's a lad on Vimeo using a nice compact one. I'll see if I can find the link again

Wayne Avanson June 15th, 2009 11:59 AM

ahh, here it is

5DMK2 + Jib Crane on Vimeo

Dylan Couper June 15th, 2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilbert Khoury (Post 1158758)
I'm looking for a reasonably priced Jib arm for my canon 5d including the tripod. I found Kessler crane web site and they have packages. I am wondering if any of you used their cranes or do you recommend other ones cheaper?

I own a Kessler crane that I use with my JVC HD100. I like it, but if I was buying now, I'd wait for their pocket jib to come out, which I think looks great.

Gilbert Khoury June 15th, 2009 10:10 PM

Thank you for all the responses.

By the way, how do you guys focus while using the jib arm? Is there any remote control that you use or you use the wide open lens?

Dylan Couper June 16th, 2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilbert Khoury (Post 1159015)
Thank you for all the responses.

By the way, how do you guys focus while using the jib arm? Is there any remote control that you use or you use the wide open lens?

Depends on the camera. With the 5D that would be a challenge. You'd have to have the operator standing beside the camera, focusing manually as the jib went up or down. Or you could rent a remote control follow focus, which would be dope, but expensive!

Nick Hiltgen June 16th, 2009 07:47 PM

I was standing next to the camera, Ideally you'd have a remote controlled rig but I don't so there you go. I had someone operating at the weight end and then I would guide by that camera end, and adjust focus. the other thing I've tried is just coming into focus so that no pull is necessary, that way kinda sucked.

Mark Hahn June 17th, 2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen (Post 1159426)
I was standing next to the camera, Ideally you'd have a remote controlled rig but I don't so there you go. I had someone operating at the weight end and then I would guide by that camera end, and adjust focus. the other thing I've tried is just coming into focus so that no pull is necessary, that way kinda sucked.

Did you use a focus follower with whip?