DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Picture Styles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/237399-picture-styles.html)

Steve Runyan June 15th, 2009 07:03 PM

Picture Styles

I've been seeing all kinds of recommendations (apparently something happens in the video conversion so the results don't match still images), unfortunately the recommendations don't include the subject or lighting so i'm still clueless (and i'm a photograper, not videographer and have only shot RAW for 4 or 5 years).

can anyone explain what happens to the picture styles in video and give me a starting point for wildlife settings?

Mark Hahn June 15th, 2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Runyan (Post 1158968)
I've been seeing all kinds of recommendations (apparently something happens in the video conversion so the results don't match still images), unfortunately the recommendations don't include the subject or lighting so i'm still clueless (and i'm a photograper, not videographer and have only shot RAW for 4 or 5 years).

can anyone explain what happens to the picture styles in video and give me a starting point for wildlife settings?

You can apply picture settings to raw images using Canon software. May I suggest you start learning that way? I am in the same boat as you and I am dreading the effort of learning them.

Steve Runyan June 15th, 2009 08:44 PM

my concern is that from what i've read, the picture styles i apply to RAW or JPEG images are not going to look the same in video

Mark Hahn June 17th, 2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Runyan (Post 1158993)
my concern is that from what i've read, the picture styles i apply to RAW or JPEG images are not going to look the same in video

I'd like to know where you read that. My experience and the Canon manual claim the results will be the same with stills and video.

Bill Binder June 18th, 2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hahn (Post 1160031)
I'd like to know where you read that. My experience and the Canon manual claim the results will be the same with stills and video.

My experience too.

Evan Donn June 18th, 2009 12:16 PM

I've definitely noticed a difference - for instance, dropping contrast all the way down in video mode is almost required, whereas pictures I've taken with the profiles like that end up with slightly flat, greyish highlights that don't look natural.

Ben Syverson June 18th, 2009 12:44 PM

I've found them to be identical IF you're comparing video to sRGB (not Adobe RGB) JPEGs. If you're shooting RAW, the final image is dependent on your RAW converter, not the Picture Style (Aperture, Lightroom and ACR ignore Picture Styles).

Picture Styles are very powerful and not that complicated. If you can use Curves in Photoshop, you can create your own style with the Picture Style Editor software.