DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Hello 5d2, goodbye Z7U! Now I need accessories... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/237540-hello-5d2-goodbye-z7u-now-i-need-accessories.html)

Chris Joy June 17th, 2009 06:52 PM

Hello 5d2, goodbye Z7U! Now I need accessories...

After tinkering with the firmware update while on a short vacation, I have decided that the 5d2 is going to replace a Z7U as a "B" camera for my work which includes short docs, commercials and sports videos. I have lots of Cannon glass as I've used a 30d/40d for stills for awhile.

I'm amazed, the video that comes out of this camera is simply stunning! With the HDMI cable attached to my 1080p LCD or reviewing it on my 24" imac, the video looks better than my Z7u in every way. Every time I review footage I just can't believe what I'm seeing. Time for me to find all the necessary accessories like a matte-box, follow focus, beachtek adaptor and so on. But so far I'm very happy with what Canon has done with this thing.

The first thing I'm looking for is something that will allow me to mount a matte-box and use it both as a hand held device and on a tripod. I shoot "run and gun" and on the sticks, any consensus on what works well for both? I've read the threads, but there are a lot of opinions. I really like the modular system RedRock has. For now its mounted to my Spiderbrace, but that's only for shoulder stuff since I can't attach a plate.

I think I'm going to start shooting more Alaska wildlife/scenery stuff too, there are just so many possibilities with all the great Canon lenses! Is it hard to tell I love this camera?

Steve Lewis June 17th, 2009 09:01 PM

You can go bonkers:
DSLR Precision Shooter - Zacuto

Or look at the other packages from Zacuto and Redrock Micro for more budget conscious packages/configurations.

Bruce Foreman June 17th, 2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Joy (Post 1159946)
For now its mounted to my Spiderbrace, but that's only for shoulder stuff since I can't attach a plate.

How does that work out on the Spiderbrace? Spiderbrace 1 or 2?

Does it align the LCD fairly well with eyelevel? I have one of those Hoodloupe 3.0 from Hoodman and it can be held in place with two rubberbands, if the eye can go straight to the eyepiece of the Hoodloupe this could be one handheld solution.

I couldn't "hit the plastic" for the 5D MkII so I settled for the Canon 500D knowing full well there may never be the same firmware upgrade for it like the 5D MkII got. It's not bad and I have a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 here waiting on the Nikon to EOS adapter for when I have to set wide aperture.

Chris Joy June 19th, 2009 05:32 PM

I have the original spiderbrace (all plastic) that predates what's on the website. I know they semm to get a bad rap here, but its been a wonderful tool for handheld stuff when I don't want to use a steadycam and it gets great low shots and as a bonus it weighs almost nothing. I've shot sporting events for hours on end with a Z1/Z7/A1 along with a big light, a mic or two, wireless transmitter, lanc controller and so on with no issues. I've had this one for almost 4 years and its still going strong. Right now the LCD is a little to the right of where you would want it with the hoodloupe so focusing isn't perfect ... yet. I'm going to cannibalize some parts from a tripod head so I can hopefully offset it a bit and make a cheap version of some of the RedRock/Cinevate type rigs and see how it works before dropping $1000 or so for essentially the same thing.

Steve Henry June 23rd, 2009 02:26 PM

I was at a Canon sponsored HD Video workshop with Vincent Laforet this weekend, and Red Rock Micro was there with a couple of their rigs. I really liked their new eyeSpy Deluxe Bundle DSLR rig. Made the cam stable for handholding when you have your hand on the follow focus knob and the handle and we talked about using a quick release for putting it on a tripod. It seems like a compact shoulder unit that can easily be modified for your needs like longer rods or another camera mount or whatever you might need to add. And the price didn't seem all that bad. It didn't have a matte box, but what I'm currently using is the Lee Filters Wide-Angle Hood for using my graduated ND's and as a sun shade.

I don't do much run and gun stuff so still haven't made up my mind whether to get the RedRock or not, but who knows.

Sean Seah June 27th, 2009 01:41 AM

Woah.. these guys r churning out new toys like nothing! I just went for the Zacuto gorilla stuff.. The eye spy does look pretty cool and the price position is still reasonable.