Magic Lantern by Tramm Hudson getting close - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #16
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Jon's tests are going great, but one of the alpha users reported a fairly major bug: the digital zoom in live view gets "stuck" and it doesn't return to full screen mode. I'm working on that one now, which is the last hurdle before public availability.

I promise!
Take whatever time you need to get it right...
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM   #17
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
Tramm or Jon:

In first release are we getting any way to monitor other than LCD ? I assume, as previously indicated, we are losing Video when we get phones monitoring through AV jack.
__________________
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM   #18
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Camas, WA, USA
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Tramm or Jon:

In first release are we getting any way to monitor other than LCD ? I assume, as previously indicated, we are losing Video when we get phones monitoring through AV jack.
Hi Chris,

Tramm will have to answer that. I'm just doing audio testing. I do a quick test and immediately pull the battery to remove the firmware and any possible infinite loops that could heat up the chips. That way, Tramm can send me his very latest builds with various audio tweaks without doing delivery-level testing.

But, yeah, hopefully we won't lose any features when we add the new ones...
__________________
Jon Fairhurst
Jon Fairhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM   #19
Wizard Status
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
In first release are we getting any way to monitor other than LCD ? I assume, as previously indicated, we are losing Video when we get phones monitoring through AV jack.
Unfortunately, no. By disabling the hotplug task, the camera no longer responds to HDMI cables, USB cables or A/V cables. Many users have reported significant noise on the audio track when using the composite video output with the stock firmware as well, which might steer you away from trying to use it.

This is, after all, still a first beta release. HDMI support may be implemented once someone with a HDMI monitor has a need to write the code necessary to switch the camera into HDMI output mode. I don't have an HDMI field monitor, so it hasn't been a huge priority...

Last edited by Tramm Hudson; June 21st, 2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Corrected response to indicate negative.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Unfortunately, no. By disabling the hotplug task, the camera no longer responds to HDMI cables, USB cables or A/V cables. Many users have reported significant noise on the audio track when using the composite video output with the stock firmware as well, which might steer you away from trying to use it.

This is, after all, still a first beta release. HDMI support may be implemented once someone with a HDMI monitor has a need to write the code necessary to switch the camera into HDMI output mode. I don't have an HDMI field monitor, so it hasn't been a huge priority...
Yikes! Just a personal response here, but that kind of prohibits my use of the software.
My 5D is primarily used on a Glidecam X-10 rig. Monitoring video is this configuration is
more important than audio for obvious reasons. The size and placement of the camera lcd make it somewhat useless for a stabilization rig. Its a bummer that there is this either or situation. Regardless, I do appreciate the added capabilities you have created for the camera!
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Wizard Status
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
Monitoring video is this configuration is more important than audio for obvious reasons. The size and placement of the camera lcd make it somewhat useless for a stabilization rig.
I fully anticipate fixing that soon after the initial release. Since you're using an HDMI monitoring, you'll be a great beta tester for that code. If I had a Steadicam and a field monitor, it would be one of the first additions that I'd make!

It looks pretty easy to switch between the different modes; set a global variable in the hdmi_config_state structure, call the refresh_video_state() function and, I hope, it all works. That is what the hotplug_task() code does; we should be able to make the same sequence of calls to force it. But I don't have any way to test it, so it won't be in the first release, and all of my gui elements are hard coded for the 720x480 LCD.

Likewise, I'm not supporting use of the internal mic. My code forcibly selects the external input regardless of if it is connected. This won't work for everyone, but we're still in a early beta state and hopefully anyone who cares about audio quality will be using an external mic.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM   #22
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 170
Field Monitor

FYI this is the monitor I will be use with the 5D stabilized rig (when its available in about a month)
SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 170
Love to help

[QUOTE=Tramm Hudson;1161602]I fully anticipate fixing that soon after the initial release. Since you're using an HDMI monitoring, you'll be a great beta tester for that code. If I had a Steadicam and a field monitor, it would be one of the first additions that I'd make!

I'd love to help, just as soon as I can purchase one from smallHD.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM   #24
Wizard Status
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
FYI this is the monitor I will be use with the 5D stabilized rig (when its available in about a month)
SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1
Very neat. The only thing that seems to be missing is a headphone amp. If we could get HDMI audio output to the monitor and use it for audio monitoring that would be one less cable to connect to the camera.

The other major hurdle for HDMI output is to fix the mode switch when recording starts so that it doesn't blank out for a few seconds while the screen resyncs. I haven't seen any reason that it happens.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM   #25
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 170
Continued Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Very neat. The only thing that seems to be missing is a headphone amp. If we could get HDMI audio output to the monitor and use it for audio monitoring that would be one less cable to connect to the camera.

The other major hurdle for HDMI output is to fix the mode switch when recording starts so that it doesn't blank out for a few seconds while the screen resyncs. I haven't seen any reason that it happens.
Whew! Im glad there are possibilltes regarding video output. I will continue to be optimistic
and assist any way I can.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:24 AM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: paris
Posts: 289
You will need to have an external monitor in a lot of setups. A Glidecam or Steadicam is just one of them. Video output is more than secondary.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network