Magic Lantern firmware released - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Fantastic, and just in time for a shoot I have tomorrow.

Thanks Tramm for taking an already great camera and making it better.
Jeff Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Anthony, Mathieu,

The recording quality of the juicedLink into Magic Lantern is awesome. But there are still reasons to record double system in some cases. It really depends on the size of the crew.

If you have a dedicated audio team, they can run untethered from the camera.

If you are are a one person crew, or want fast turnaround in post, recording into the camera makes the most sense.

So, both of your perspectives are valid, depending on the context.

Last edited by Jon Fairhurst; June 22nd, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
Jon Fairhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz View Post
How many minutes does it take for booting the ML firmware?
about 10 seconds.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM   #19
Trustee

this is awesome! I think the Canon dudes should be working on 1.11 now to catch up!!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
this is awesome! I think the Canon dudes should be working on 1.11 now to catch up!!
That's what I'm HOPING for!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Major Player

Will the magic lantern firmware void out the warranty of the camera?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM   #22
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
Will the magic lantern firmware void out the warranty of the camera?
That's a good question. It is very similar to CHDK, which has a FAQ: Does using the CHDK program void your warranty?:
Quote:
First, please bear in mind that CHDK comes with no warranty for any use; you use it at your own risk. What follows is just a few thoughts, and is not a legal opinion. Many believe that using the CHDK does not harm your warranty, since it is said to be loaded into the memory only temporarily (turn off the cam and it's gone completely) and that it leaves the original camera firmware untouched.
They include an email exchange with Canon:
Quote:
After researching this software on the internet it appears that CHDK doesn't make any actual changes to your camera. If you delete the CHDK software from your memory card, or if you choose not to activate the CHDK software on the card (or remove and replace the batteries), then the camera will behave absolutely normally - nothing has been (or ever is) changed, so the warranty is not affected.
The Magic Lantern firmware is distributed with NO WARRANTY and NO GUARANTEES are provided. It might work. It might not. It hasn't destroyed any cameras yet, but who knows.

Last edited by Tramm Hudson; June 22nd, 2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Finish response
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
That's what I'm HOPING for!
If I were management at Cannon, I'd be most vexed with their programmers. I'd say, "Tramm Hudson did what you haven't been able to do. You Are The Weakest Link. You're Fired. Someone get Tramm on the line and hire him for the combined salaries of everyone I just fired."

Ok, that's partly tongue-in-cheek, but still, you get the idea.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
The Magic Lantern firmware is distributed with NO WARRANTY and NO GUARANTEES are provided. It might work. It might not. It hasn't destroyed any cameras yet, but who knows.
During alpha testing, I would turn off the camera and yank the battery after each set of captures, just to make sure that the firmware was yanked and no processes were left resident. That way I felt comfortable testing a series of builds. For people who are worried about the firmware, I recommend this approach, just to calm any fears.

BTW, after each series of tests, I would download the files to the PC using a card reader. I then deleted the media files manually time and time and time again without reformatting the card. I would also delete the older firmware and copy new firmware to the card, again without reformatting. I never had any problems. Many people only delete the media with an in-camera reformat, but I found that this was not necessary.

However, if you are a worrier, you can reformat the card in the camera to clear the card, and then add the firmware in the PC each time to ensure a perfectly clean starting point.

One nice thing about loading the firmware is that the camera will stop you if your battery is too low. That not only protects the camera, but it protects us from losing the next take to a low battery.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
If I were management at Cannon, I'd be most vexed with their programmers...
The Canon programmers did a great job. I think the problem was with the camera specifications.

Keep in mind that much of the camera spec is awesome, especially where it counts - image quality. It was (and is) just missing a few important features. I wouldn't fire the spec authors though. I would just encourage them not to repeat past mistakes. :)
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM   #26
Major Player

First of all, I want to extend a big thank you to Tramm. This is simply amazing. I plan to donate as soon as I can (i.e. afford to) and I think anybody who uses this camera should do so as well.

I believe efforts like this will get Canon to update the firmware faster than any other campaign. I think Tramm deserves (I don't use that word lightly) as many donations as he can get, because when Canon finally updates the firmware, Tramm is, figuratively speaking, back to square one.

In my opinion it is his efforts that provide the biggest push for Canon to implement these features in future updates.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The Canon programmers did a great job. I think the problem was with the camera specifications.
It may well be that the programmers already know what can be achieved but are limited by management. Canon has to consider their product pipeline, they don't wnt to canabilise their own sales. The programmers and camera designers may be secretly pleased with Tramms efforts but management would not be happy and the people they'd be yelling at arn't the programmers. Right now my guess is the company lawyers are the ones working double shifts.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:20 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Congratulations Tramm!!! ;-DD
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Congrats on the front page post on Slashdot!

Slashdot Hardware Story | GPL Firmware For Canon 5D Mark II Adds Features For Film Makers
Rick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Here it is on Gizmodo...

Gizmodo - Magic Lantern Firmware Unlocks the Canon 5D Mark II's A/V Potential - Canon 5D Mark II

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD