DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Magic Lantern firmware released (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/237747-magic-lantern-firmware-released.html)

Tramm Hudson June 21st, 2009 11:07 PM

Magic Lantern firmware released

The Magic Lantern firmware for the 5D Mark II is available for public beta! There are still some very rough edges, but it should be usable for wide-spread testing. In this version there are:

- Onscreen stereo audio meters
- Full-time cropmarks
- Zebra stripes for overexposed regions
- Fixed audio gain (+10 dB analog, +12 dB digital) with -NO AGC-
- Live headphone monitoring on A/V jack (without disabling LCD)
- printf() to the bitmap display
- GUI event viewer (press Picture Style button)

The button remapping was having problems, so it has been pulled out for now.

I've posted a Magic Lantern firmware introduction on vimeo and the website for more info and downloads is Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki. See the FAQ for most questions regarding the software.

Keep in mind there are no warranties and no guarantees, and if it breaks your camera you get to keep both pieces.

Tom Daigon June 21st, 2009 11:14 PM

Bravo!

Bravo Tramm. Well done! Nice touch with the video as well.

Paul Cascio June 22nd, 2009 12:07 AM

I don't even own a Canon, but I've been so impressed with this that I've followed this topic with great interest. Congratulations Tramm. Nice job.

Chris Barcellos June 22nd, 2009 12:43 AM

I have been testing this for a bit tonight. Really loving the combo of the JuicedLink CX231 and Magic Lantern software. As a user, you may want to boost your headphones output by getting something like the Boostaroo Revolution, and head phone amplifier for about 29 to 35 dollars. You should also consider an inline volume control for the headphones out of boostaroo.

Sound is solid.

Genarally you mount the firmware on your CF cards in root directory, and then when you want to employ Tramm's software, you go to menu, and tell camera to update software. It will do so, and the camera will restart in Magic Lantern. When you shut down, or the time shut off occurs, when you restart, you are back in firmware 1.10.

I assume there are plans to have the features selectable, but this is an amazing dream come true for this camera.....

Mathieu Kassovitz June 22nd, 2009 12:51 AM

It seems only the external mic input is supported. But does the internal mic work at least even without benefit audio changes? Or is it disabled too and is an external mic mandatory?

Chris Barcellos June 22nd, 2009 01:03 AM

On the internal mic issue, it has to be remembered that this is a beta test of new software. At moment, we are getting some things, and for the moment until the boys get it all worked out, we are giving up some things. This beta release should be considered first step in a developing process.

I am sure at moment, what was figured was that internal mic did not need to be mapped because the genisis of this software was sound capture improvement. The internal mic could never be used for that purpose.

As it stands right now, we don't have video out either. I know from prior responses from Tramm plan is to get HDMI out going.

Now remember, when you invoke this software, it does not permanently replace 1.10. It has to be recalled after camera has gone into rest, or been turned off.

Jon Fairhurst June 22nd, 2009 01:08 AM

Congratulations Tramm!

The audio quality, with a clean, hot signal, absolutely rocks!

Anthony Allen June 22nd, 2009 01:09 AM

hey Tramm, great work man.

My Vuzix LCD glasses just arrived today, is there a chance of a HDMI out on/off option? I'm using a Zoom H4n for audio so internal signal noise isn't an issue for me and many other users are using external recorders and LCDs for monitoring too.

Paul Mailath June 22nd, 2009 01:14 AM

Likewise I don't own the 5D but I've read with interest all the developments - I think you've passed wizard and moved to Dragon Slayer. An awesome job and I loved the video - content is king and boy the content of that video shows whats possible with a lot of interest, a good deal of effort and a dash of genius.

I think you just took Canons queen with a pawn and the game is about to get really interesting.

Congratulations young man and don't consider any job offers from them under 200k

Mathieu Kassovitz June 22nd, 2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1161704)
Genarally you mount the firmware on your CF cards in root directory, and then when you want to employ Tramm's software, you go to menu, and tell camera to update software. It will do so, and the camera will restart in Magic Lantern. When you shut down, or the time shut off occurs, when you restart, you are back in firmware 1.10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1161710)
Now remember, when you invoke this software, it does not permanently replace 1.10. It has to be recalled after camera has gone into rest, or been turned off.

How many minutes does it take for booting the ML firmware?

Mathieu Kassovitz June 22nd, 2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Allen (Post 1161713)
hey Tramm, great work man.

My Vuzix LCD glasses just arrived today, is there a chance of a HDMI out on/off option? I'm using a Zoom H4n for audio so internal signal noise isn't an issue for me and many other users are using external recorders and LCDs for monitoring too.

External audio is for 35mm film shooting, not for who wants to take advantage of such a light setup, generally one man crew using a small capture device, capable of recording picture and sound. Why not both together? It doesn't make sense. Otherwise, digital audio is there for years and it is lighter than dealing with digital imaging.

*EDIT*
Interesting those glasses in a setup of one man crew.
You'll probably want to know these:
http://www.i-glassesstore.com/
http://www.3dvisor.com/ (eMagin Z800 3DVisor model . . . the resolution is 800 x 600)

Robert Esmonde June 22nd, 2009 03:32 AM

Congratulations Tramm! Not just for the all the generous hard work, but for the really professional way you've produced this private beta and the slick presentation of the Wiki etc. A fantastic achievement.

Anthony Allen June 22nd, 2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz (Post 1161746)
External audio is for 35mm film shooting, not for who wants to take advantage of such a light setup, generally one man crew using a small capture device, capable of recording picture and sound. Why not both together? It doesn't make sense. Otherwise, digital audio is there for years and it is lighter than dealing with a digital imaging.

*EDIT*

erm most of the guys I know shooting with DSLRs are making films. 2 of whom have shot features with the D90. A zoom H4n is light and has 4 track recording with higher bit-rates than the onboard sound.

Mathieu Kassovitz June 22nd, 2009 04:22 AM

Yes, but onboard sound going with a DSLR makes more sense to me.

*EDIT*
See my post above, I added some links for you.

Mitch Aunger June 22nd, 2009 08:01 AM

Thanks Trammel!

I encourage anyone who appreciates Trammel's work to donate (there's a link on the wiki)... without great tools like this, we'd be stuck and we should show our appreciation!