Magic Lantern 0.1.4 Is Out- Adjustable Gain and Zebras are now in! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Esmonde View Post
The download file there is still 0.1.3.zip
Shows as 0.1.4 for me...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Esmonde View Post
Am I missing something, since I'm the only person who seems to have this problem?
It's probably your browser cache that needs flushing or try force reloading the page. If that doesn't work then I have attached the file you want that I just downloaded from the wiki.
Attached Files
File Type: zip magiclantern-0.1.4.zip (11.0 KB, 47 views)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris and Nigel.

I had been reloading the page, but I just tried it again right now and, what do you know, it's showing the 0.1.4 file. So I've downloaded it. Appreciated.
Robert Esmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #19
Inner Circle

double post, please delete.
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Magic Lantern 0.1.4 users be aware that if you shut down or let the camera time out in this version while you are in the menu mode, you may not get a complete shut down, and you will have to pop the battery out and reload it.

Also, when camera is shut down, on next reload you are back to defaults. Hopefully, in future version, Tramm will find a way to make your Zebra gain settings stick....
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #21
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Also, when camera is shut down, on next reload you are back to defaults. Hopefully, in future version, Tramm will find a way to make your Zebra gain settings stick....
I haven't figured out where it is safe to write things in NVRAM. That's obviously a dangerous place to go scribbling since it might overwrite some other Canon settings.

Another step that I need to try is to open a file on "C:/", which appears to be some sort of in-memory filesystem. If it is also in the NVRAM, perhaps that would be a safe place to store all of our settings.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
I haven't figured out where it is safe to write things in NVRAM. That's obviously a dangerous place to go scribbling since it might overwrite some other Canon settings.

Another step that I need to try is to open a file on "C:/", which appears to be some sort of in-memory filesystem. If it is also in the NVRAM, perhaps that would be a safe place to store all of our settings.
It would be awesome if, along with the firmware, we could put a configuration file on the CF card that we could load. That would help in multi-camera shoots.
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

For what it's worth, I have absolutely *no problem* with having to manually set up a specifically called files / folder structure for each CF card that I'm going to put into the camera... in addition to copying ML to each card.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #24
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
It would be awesome if, along with the firmware, we could put a configuration file on the CF card that we could load. That would help in multi-camera shoots.
Jon, you come up with some of the best (and simple) ideas. That's perfect.
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #25
Inner Circle

As I suggested before, with the small file size, one could keep a subfolder of various versions of ML, on each chip, and drag an drop the one with the settings into root before start up. I know with the variables starting to grow, this will get to complicated, but maybe kind of editable string for the user to set up on the CPU system, that automatically writes the wanted values into the version of ML.
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Jon, you come up with some of the best (and simple) ideas. That's perfect.
Excellent! I'm glad to hear that a config file is doable.

One thing to keep in mind is forward compatibility. As new versions become available, we would want our previous config files to still be valid. And you probably don't want to write version converters, or burden the code with the reading of bunch of completely unique formats/versions. Unless you're designing Microsoft Word, of course. :)

Anyway, design that first config file with great care. You might have to live with it for a long time...
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #27
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
One thing to keep in mind is forward compatibility. As new versions become available, we would want our previous config files to still be valid. And you probably don't want to write version converters, or burden the code with the reading of bunch of completely unique formats/versions. Unless you're designing Microsoft Word, of course. :)
One advantage of being "in beta" is that it is sometimes ok to say "delete the config file and restart"...

I think we'll have a simple text INI style file initially, but ideally we would move to a script based setup. So at startup the Magic Lantern firmware would look for a autoexec.pl (or .py or .scheme or something) to initialize all the parameters. That way the complexity of configuration is moved out of the "hardcoded" C code and into an end-user editable format.
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Sounds right to me ! By the way, I think in some situations we will want to turn off zebras, so that option should be there at some point..
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Hang on to your hats, the Wizard is brewing some more home brew!

Title speaks for itself. I have loaded to my Canon 5D Mark II, and after booting, go to the Picture Style button. There in small print on left center is area. You go up or down and adjust with the toggle.

I will be testing tonight, but this means a lot more to us, depending on what you are using to get sound to your camera....

Go Here :

Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki
Chris I am sorry if it is obvious, but how do I adjust gain and zebra?

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #30
Wizard Status

0.1.4 sources now online

For the truly adventurous, fool hardy and other mad men, the Magic Lantern 0.1.4 sources are now posted: Download Magic Lantern sources.

Even more than the pre-built and tested binary firmware images, these sources are potentially dangerous and you can damage your camera. There is no warranty of any kind on this software. There is no support implied. In fact, it is best if you pretend you never read this post and instead look at cute pictures of animals instead.

To build the firmware I'm using arm-elf-gcc 4.3.2 on Mac OS X and arm-linux-gcc 3.4.4 on Linux. Beyond that I can't make any promises of things compiling or working. You must also have mercurial, perl, make, binutils, etc. There is no support for cross compiling from Win32.

Due to copyright issues with Canon's firmware flasher, you must supply your own 1.0.7 firmware image if you want to build the ROM dumper. The only top-level Makefile target of interest is magiclantern.fir.

The sources are GPLed, but any commits to the main tree must be accompanied by copyright assignment.

Good luck and be careful.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD