Mini-HDMI cable for 5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Wizard Status

Mini-HDMI cable for 5D

I'll be testing with a DP1 HDMI field monitor this weekend and need to find a Mini-HDMI cable to connect it to my 5D Mark II. Canon's official HTC-100 is sold out most places, and some reviews on Amazon make it sound like the generic cables don't always work.

Does anyone know if the Quantary 6 foot Mini-HDMI to HDMI is compatible? I can pick one up at the local Ritz camera and save on shipping.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For nine bucks you can get a mini adapter from Radio Shack. The only downside is that it puts some stress on the connector, so you need to be careful with it. I use it at home and I baby it. I wouldn't recommend it in the field on a shoot.

HDMI Female A to HDMI Male C Swivel Adapter - RadioShack.com
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Tramm, I Googled Mini HDMI and came up with a place to order for about $5.00.
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I get mine from MonoPrice.

3 ft. / $4.05: 3FT Mini-HDMI (Type C) to HDMI (Type A) Specification 1.3a 30AWG Cable | Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable

6 ft. / $5.07: 6FT Mini-HDMI (Type C) to HDMI (Type A) Specification 1.3a 30AWG Cable | Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable

Can't beat the cost... I bought several; I keep one near my living room HDTV,
one in the camera bag, one in the laptop bag and a spare in the desk drawer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

HDMI Cable

Tramm....when you get your HDMI cable and DP1 monitor..please let me know. I will be purchasing both soon. This way I will know for sure that I am getting the right cable and length and have it when the DP1 arrives. ( I have learned over the years never to assume anything). Thanks!
Tom
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I am thinking we should all buy what Hudson is buying cause we know it will be working with Magic Lantern soon....
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Major Player

^^ I hear you Chris. Seeing Tramm talk about messing around with an HD monitor got me all excited! Can't wait to see what he's cooking up in the ol' Magic Lantern. It would be incredible to be able to monitor in full HD wink wink ;)
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
^^ I hear you Chris. Seeing Tramm talk about messing around with an HD monitor got me all excited! Can't wait to see what he's cooking up in the ol' Magic Lantern. It would be incredible to be able to monitor in full HD wink wink ;)
Monitor in HD? Hell, I want to record in full HD. Enough with this H.264 nonsense. :D
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Major Player

LOL! Yeah, that would be nice too.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #10
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
Tramm....when you get your HDMI cable and DP1 monitor..please let me know. I will be purchasing both soon. This way I will know for sure that I am getting the right cable and length and have it when the DP1 arrives.
My DP1 arrived this morning and I did a quick power-up test while at the office. The screen looks great and the Quantarray cable works fine. Attempting to load Magic Lantern with the HDMI cable plugged in causes err70, so I'll be hacking on supporting it in the firmware this weekend once I get the config file loading working.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

See what I mean guys, ? :)
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
My DP1 arrived this morning and I did a quick power-up test while at the office. The screen looks great and the Quantarray cable works fine. Attempting to load Magic Lantern with the HDMI cable plugged in causes err70, so I'll be hacking on supporting it in the firmware this weekend once I get the config file loading working.
Nice! I just gave them a call to see when the general public can get theirs. I would like to
be able to see what it can do from a editor/cameraman perspective. I am enjoying the momentum that is resulting from your great work with the 5D.
Tramm, Im trying to find the same cable you are using in a 3 foot length. Can you tell me if it is a HDMI A to HDMI C Male to Male ?
Quantaray only makes a 6 foot length and all I need for the Glidecam rig is 3 feet. But I know
better than to assume anything...specially when it comes to cables.Thanks!

Last edited by Tom Daigon; June 26th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Tramm-May need composite instead of HDMI

Ive bumped into a problem with trying to implement using the HDMI signal with the X-10 system (with the canon and DP1 mounted on it). It necessitates drilling small (3/8") holes near the top and bottom of the vertical pole (see image 2)
These holes do not accomodate the HDMI plug size. BUMMER. I may have to opt for using the compsoite out of the 5D and send that to the smallHD DP1.
Im sure the cable carrying the composite signal would pass thru the drilled holes . This was an unforseen bump in the road.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Inner Circle

One of the problems with composite out was that the video signal out, when connected, created very loud interference with the mic coming in. Some kind of shielding issue, that I don't think is surmountable. That is why I was hoping HDMI in would handle it.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
One of the problems with composite out was that the video signal out, when connected, created very loud interference with the mic coming in. Some kind of shielding issue, that I don't think is surmountable. That is why I was hoping HDMI in would handle it.
And with Tramm on the case Im sure HDMI will handle it. It just my unique situation
with the Glidecam rig (see link to pix 2 emails up) that seems to make HDMI problematic and AV the possible alternative solution. Ive tried to think of every way
possible to get the HDMI cable thru the 3/8" drilled holes and snaked down the sled tube....but Im almost out of options.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD