Magic Lantern bug reports at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Wizard Status

Magic Lantern bug reports

Please no feature requests, even phrased as bug reports! I will transcribe bugs from replies and update this post as things are fixed. These are in no particular order, but important ones are flagged.

0.1.4:

* Transcend cards sometimes fail to boot ML
* Cheap Chinese batteries (without chip) will fail to boot ML
* Camera will lock up if powersave triggers while ML is running
* Card-full events are ignored by ML and last file is not closed (!!!)
* Canon overlays flicker when ML menus or zebras are drawn
* Canon menus are overwritten by ML on display
* Zebras are not calibrated to IRE values (and should be transparent)
* Gain and zebra settings are not stored between reboots
* First 1-2 seconds of audio are not correctly configured
* After menu is displayed the aperture/shutter info is not re-displayed correctly

Last edited by Tramm Hudson; June 25th, 2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Two new bugs
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Wizard Status

Booting with a HDMI device plugged in also causes an err70, just like the Transcend cards. I've been able to get beyond the problem by disabling the call to go into LiveView mode. If you have the Transcend card bug with 0.1.3 or 0.1.4, send me an email and I'll send you a beta-version of 0.1.5 for testing.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I have a Transcend card. You can email me at mindlee (at) gmail.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Wizard Status

Audio ticks

Marten found a bug that was causing 1 Hz ticks in the audio. I believe this is caused by the audio_device_task() rewriting the AK4646 registers once per second. it will be fixed in 0.1.5 since the registers will only be re-written when necessary, rather than all the time.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
I believe this is caused by the audio_device_task() rewriting the AK4646 registers once per second. it will be fixed in 0.1.5 since the registers will only be re-written when necessary, rather than all the time.
Fixed and verified in 0.1.5.
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Major Player

I finally tested 0.1.5 today. I found that my 16GB 133X Transcend will boot but won't recognize cfg file but my 8GB 133X Lexar boot and reads cfg file. The biggest issue is exiting the menu. Various sequences of buttons will allow me to exit but not if it's recording and it won't let me stop recording (unless I turn it off which would not save the file). Am I not suppose to access ML menu once its recording? Overall, this is a great update. Thanks Tramm!

min
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Re: Menu Access

There is a problem in Menu system that Tramm is aware of. He is looking at various issues, including memory leaks, etc. I have experienced issues with not being able to stop recording, after coming out of a particular difficult exit of the menu system. Given the situation, I think best thing to do is to create the config file you want to open the camera with, and be sure it is picked up in start up, and use the menu system as little as possible to change setting until the updated version resolves bugs.

If you are having issue with config file not being read, try reformatting card in camera, and then loading the config and 0.1.5 fir files to the root, and retest. Let us know if that works.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
The biggest issue is exiting the menu. Various sequences of buttons will allow me to exit but not if it's recording and it won't let me stop recording (unless I turn it off which would not save the file). Am I not suppose to access ML menu once its recording?
If you are not using the zebra stripes, it might appear that you can't exit the menu, but what is really happening is that the menu is not being cleared. When you're not recording, hit "Menu" twice or digital zoom three times to refresh the screen. If you are recording it is a little more difficult. This is one bug that should be easy to fix.

Chris mentioned another bug, which is that if you open the menu too many times eventually it won't open anymore. I believe there is a memory leak related to how we are freeing the gui task in menu.c in response to the TERMINATE_WINSYS command. This will be fixed once we have a better understanding of how the Canon GUI libraries work.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Chris, the transcend card was reformatted in camera before loading the firmware. I noticed other little weird quirks with that card. The ML menu order is different, zebra and crop appears before gain. The menu when turning off disappears with a wipe while other card it disappears all at once. None of this bothers me but just thought it might be worth mentioning. Thanks for your response guys. I'll leave zebra on now.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Audio playback

Noticing that to play back the audio (hear it from the camera) you have to unplug the mic from the camera. This is not the case when NOT using Magic Latern. Not sure this has been mentioned.
Steve Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

playing with 0.1.5 tonight

If this has already been noted ignore

When zebras are displayed,

manual iso adjustment is not available and can not be changed.
AF menu gone and can not be changed.
white balance menu and can not be changed.
shutter speed , I can adjust shutter speed but indicator does not update
all info icon indicators are missing
magnification window appears momentarily as it is moved only
magnification works

seams anything that needs the screen space does not work when zebras are on

fantastic work so far, very impressive indeed.
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Playing some more tonight. Learned more about the screen refresh issues.

if this is already know ignore.

Everything posted before remains true, but , I found that if I close live view after the first boot up on the LCD of ML then hit Live view again, the shutter speed indicator refreshes properly when changed, If I hold down the ISO button it flickers on at each refresh of the screen which seams to be about 7-10? times a second? giving me a quick glimpse of where the blue highlighted ISO is on the menu and the ISO indicator at the bottom will update properly also.

The info Icons also appear all though they flicker also with a patch of screen that belongs to those items not allowing the zebras to show it that area.

Learning this makes the zebras somewhat useful now for me.

Still impressive, when these things get ironed out I'm definitely putting something in the hat.

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:03 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Recording Zebras???

Hi!
Just got my long awaited brand new Canon 5d Mark II. I loaded ML and found that zebras got recorded over the movie. Is that how it works, should I turn zebras off before hitting record or is it a bug???

Thank you Tramm, you are doing a great fantastic job!
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:11 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Zebras should not record into the movie. Post a screen grab so we see what you are talking about.
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Trying to get the screen grab I found that zebras are not recorded over video but they do appear over it while playing the movie in camera. Sorry for the mess!

Last edited by Christian Ionescu; July 31st, 2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: playing instead of "trying to play"
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD