DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Another example of the 5D Mark II as a game changer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/238119-another-example-5d-mark-ii-game-changer.html)

Steve Maller June 28th, 2009 01:01 PM

Another example of the 5D Mark II as a game changer

I am a bar/bat mitzvah photographer (among my many hats) and last night, with my 5D Mark II in tow (as a backup to my 1Ds Mark III), I happened upon One Of Those Moments. Read on...

A Priceless Bat Mitzvah Moment | Steve Maller Photography

Victor Bieganek June 28th, 2009 01:38 PM

I love the sparkles in the dresses. Did you do any special filter or processing to get those so pronounced?

Steve Maller June 28th, 2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Bieganek (Post 1164536)
I love the sparkles in the dresses. Did you do any special filter or processing to get those so pronounced?

Thanks. I literally did nothing. Transcoded to ProRes using Compressor, imported to FCP6, dropped a fade in and a fade out, then saved with the H.264 setting in Compressor, using 50% reduction in frame size and a max data rate of 2,000. Everything else was defaults.

This was shot handheld on the 5D Mark II with the 1.1.0 firmware. Built-in audio, too. I was at ISO 3200 (I believe) and 1/30 at f1.4 on the Canon EF 35mm 1.4 L lens.A truly magic piece of glass.

Glen Elliott June 29th, 2009 05:54 PM

Nice! There are moments that video can capture that photos simply can't- especially when relating to audio.

Btw, do you feel that more photographers are getting into video or vice versa (videographers getting into photography) as a result of this camera?

Steve Maller June 30th, 2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott (Post 1165003)
Nice! There are moments that video can capture that photos simply can't- especially when relating to audio.

Btw, do you feel that more photographers are getting into video or vice versa (videographers getting into photography) as a result of this camera?

Good question. I can't speak from the perspective of a videographer. Although I do a lot of video work, it's generally studio-type stuff, as opposed to run-and-gun work that would be a more logical overlap with the 5D Mark II. That said, even that type of work has many advantages with the 5D Mark II. I had a recent job across the country to do some documentary work, and rather than schlep my Canon XL2 and associated gear, I decided to take a chance and shoot it all on the 5D Mark II. And it was a huge success. The client loved what they got, and I was very happy.

With respect to the still photographer's perspective, I definitely think there are great opportunities. The major challenge is delivery, as a traditional DVD is really a poor showcase for what this camera will do. I'm finding that delivering a CD of 720P Quicktime videos is a good vehicle. But this is definitely in flux. I also enjoy showing off my work on my iPod Touch. I am also finding this as a "value add" as opposed to a new item on the price list. It's a nice competitive advantage, but most consumers are somewhat uninformed (understandably so) as to the value inherent in cinematic video coverage.