Another example of the 5D Mark II as a game changer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Another example of the 5D Mark II as a game changer

I am a bar/bat mitzvah photographer (among my many hats) and last night, with my 5D Mark II in tow (as a backup to my 1Ds Mark III), I happened upon One Of Those Moments. Read on...

A Priceless Bat Mitzvah Moment | Steve Maller Photography
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #2
New Boot

I love the sparkles in the dresses. Did you do any special filter or processing to get those so pronounced?
Victor Bieganek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Bieganek View Post
I love the sparkles in the dresses. Did you do any special filter or processing to get those so pronounced?
Thanks. I literally did nothing. Transcoded to ProRes using Compressor, imported to FCP6, dropped a fade in and a fade out, then saved with the H.264 setting in Compressor, using 50% reduction in frame size and a max data rate of 2,000. Everything else was defaults.

This was shot handheld on the 5D Mark II with the 1.1.0 firmware. Built-in audio, too. I was at ISO 3200 (I believe) and 1/30 at f1.4 on the Canon EF 35mm 1.4 L lens.A truly magic piece of glass.
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Wrangler

Nice! There are moments that video can capture that photos simply can't- especially when relating to audio.

Btw, do you feel that more photographers are getting into video or vice versa (videographers getting into photography) as a result of this camera?
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Nice! There are moments that video can capture that photos simply can't- especially when relating to audio.

Btw, do you feel that more photographers are getting into video or vice versa (videographers getting into photography) as a result of this camera?
Good question. I can't speak from the perspective of a videographer. Although I do a lot of video work, it's generally studio-type stuff, as opposed to run-and-gun work that would be a more logical overlap with the 5D Mark II. That said, even that type of work has many advantages with the 5D Mark II. I had a recent job across the country to do some documentary work, and rather than schlep my Canon XL2 and associated gear, I decided to take a chance and shoot it all on the 5D Mark II. And it was a huge success. The client loved what they got, and I was very happy.

With respect to the still photographer's perspective, I definitely think there are great opportunities. The major challenge is delivery, as a traditional DVD is really a poor showcase for what this camera will do. I'm finding that delivering a CD of 720P Quicktime videos is a good vehicle. But this is definitely in flux. I also enjoy showing off my work on my iPod Touch. I am also finding this as a "value add" as opposed to a new item on the price list. It's a nice competitive advantage, but most consumers are somewhat uninformed (understandably so) as to the value inherent in cinematic video coverage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD