DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5DMK2+Blackbird Video Motion Stabilizer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/238142-5dmk2-blackbird-video-motion-stabilizer.html)

Ron Coker June 29th, 2009 02:01 AM

5DMK2+Blackbird Video Motion Stabilizer

A match made in heaven. 5DMK2+Blackbird Stabilizer. Easy set up, about 30 minutes, done. An included second, camera quick release plate allows rapid change from stabilizer to tripod.

Like any other professional level stabilizer, practice makes for a better result.

Gadgets for 5D Mark2 on Vimeo

Glen Elliott June 29th, 2009 11:32 AM

Thanks for posting this. I never heard of the Blackbird stabilizer before. The footage appeared rather wobbly. While this may not be the best example footage for this device- I still feel the Glidecam 4000/4000HD is the best bang for the buck.

Ron Coker June 29th, 2009 08:29 PM

Blackbird/Sony PMW-EX1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott (Post 1164870)
Thanks for posting this. I never heard of the Blackbird stabilizer before. The footage appeared rather wobbly. While this may not be the best example footage for this device- I still feel the Glidecam 4000/4000HD is the best bang for the buck.

At $650 less $50 discount to most, I know where to shop.

Included link, a music vid is more convincing than my first time out offering. Enjoy

HF S10 Behind the scenes on Vimeo

Glen Elliott July 1st, 2009 06:29 PM

Yeah- that looked great. Practice makes perfect. I presume all handheld stabilizers carry a hefty learning curve.

Charles Papert July 1st, 2009 06:44 PM

They do indeed. The Blackbird does have a feature that may "soften" the curve for some, essentially a friction control that makes the system a bit less touchy.

I'll reserve judgement on whether it beats out the Merlin, but I would say that I prefer the Blackbird to the Glidecams. Certainly it is MUCH easier to make fine adjustments in balance than those units.

Tom Daigon July 1st, 2009 06:56 PM

Im new to the technology but I have found balancing my Canon 5D on my Glidecam 2000HD
(X-10 setup) quite controlled and exacting.

Glen Elliott July 1st, 2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1165957)
They do indeed. The Blackbird does have a feature that may "soften" the curve for some, essentially a friction control that makes the system a bit less touchy.

I'll reserve judgement on whether it beats out the Merlin, but I would say that I prefer the Blackbird to the Glidecams. Certainly it is MUCH easier to make fine adjustments in balance than those units.

Charles have you flown one of the newer Glidecam "HD" rigs. They made some improvements for the minor changes. They have two long threaded screws through the top plate you can turn in either direction to make subtle adjustments to the lateral balance.

Charles Papert July 1st, 2009 07:08 PM

I have indeed tried them; see my article here at DVinfo.net.

The threaded screw helps considerably over the previous generation, but you have to loosen and tighten a series of screws before you can make the adjustment. All four is probably overkill, most can do it with one on each side, but that's still 8 knobs to wrangle if you want to adjust fore-aft and side-side (four to loosen, four to tighten). Certainly if this is one's first stabilizer this isn't perhaps that big a deal as you have nothing to compare this to, but both the Merlin and Blackbird have smooth vernier adjustments that do not require ANY tiedowns. A few quick twiddles and you are ready to go.

Don Miller August 29th, 2009 07:05 PM

Who's flying the blackbird? Is the LCD always visible? Thanks for the review, Charles.

Charles Papert August 29th, 2009 11:42 PM

Like the Merlin and the GC handheld series, there's no built-in LCD on the rig so you are only able to view the LCD on the camera when you are oriented relatively square to it. There is a slight advantage with the 5D in that it is at the rear rather than one side of the body (unlike most swing-out LCD's on camcorders), so panning the camera to the right does not automatically block the viewfinder. However the 5D has a rather small screen making critical viewing difficult at oblique angles and typical operating distance.

Not impossible--just not optimal.

Jim Newberry October 30th, 2009 07:17 PM

Anyone tried a monitor with the 5DMII and Blackbird?