Silly shot of my rig... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Silly shot of my rig...

Just wanted to share with you a silly shot of my rig, showing a temp setup of a shotgun Ambient mic & mixer mounted next to my DIY 600 luma light.

-- peer
Attached Thumbnails
Silly shot of my rig...-5d-temp-rig.jpg  
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Can't see much of the camera.. Delicious looking lemon though on the left of the frame!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Wrangler

Cool- what kind of matte box and whip are you using. I'd like to go RedRock but they are priced way too high- especially for their whips/speed cranks.
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Can't see much of the camera.. Delicious looking lemon though on the left of the frame!
That's why I forewarned you with the "silly shot" disclaimer tag. And lemons (citrus) give me skin allergies (like everything else I like, including beer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Cool- what kind of matte box and whip are you using. I'd like to go RedRock but they are priced way too high- especially for their whips/speed cranks.
It's a modified Century matte box:
Amazon.com: Century Optics DV Matte Box, Wide Angle 4 x 4" for the Sony DSR-250: Camera & Photo

The follow focus is an el cheapo Proaim:
The CineCity*::*Follow Focus*::*Follow Focus*::*PROAIM Follow focus with 15" whip for xl1, xl2 gl1, gl2, xm1, xm2, sony fx1, z1u, panasonic hvx200, dvx100

It also has custom made carbon fiber rails and RedRock offset.

-- peer
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Peer,

How is that Follow Focus working out for you? Is it worth the money? All I need to be able to do for now is pull focus when I have my cam on my redrock shoulder rig.

Thanks,
Ry
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Is this the older model TinyMike I see there?
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
Hey Peer, How is that Follow Focus working out for you? Is it worth the money? All I need to be able to do for now is pull focus when I have my cam on my redrock shoulder rig.
Well, since I only have tried/used one other follow focus in my life (and that was years ago), I have no real reference point (other than watching some shootout tests on the web). But so far it does what I think it suppose to do -- pull the focus -- and with not too much play or noise. However, as with most everything, I've modified it a little -- hacksawed it into a quick release thingee, and I also had to fickle around quite a bit with the gear-rings (especially the ones that go on my Nikon lenses). But to me the unit seems to be a fairly good price/performance deal... and the shipping from India was actually quicker than my RedRock parts. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
Is this the older model TinyMike I see there?
Wow, that's very perceptive of you, buddy boy -- yes indeed, that's Ambient's old unit. I'm impressed that you even knew about them. They are quite expensive, but really good stuff though.

-- peer
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Major Player

That's the dame shoulder rig/follow focus I use Peer and I quite like mine too. Wish it was all a bit lighter generally but it works fine.
Nice pic shame about the lemon

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Well, then you might prefer this shot:
Attached Thumbnails
Silly shot of my rig...-5d-temp-rig2.jpg  
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Major Player

A TinyMic, wow we used to have one of those in the office. Completely forgot about it. Does the Tinymix give a high enough output level to work with Magic Lantern?

Dan

(edit, I forgot to ask if you figured out if the Tinymic on its own does get the 3v power it needs from the 5dmkII?)

Last edited by Dan Chung; July 15th, 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add question
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Major Player

Also, isn't that a D30 or D60 on the rig, not a 5dmkII??

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Also, isn't that a D30 or D60 on the rig, not a 5dmkII?
Wow, Dan -- yes, you are very perceptive. I actually used my 5D to shoot that pic while I was doing a mockup for the carbon rails using my old SLR.

-- peer
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #13
Major Player

Can someone teach me what Rails are for? I see cameras with them on sometimes, like the RED camera.. and wonder what is the purpose of it.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
Can someone teach me what Rails are for? I see cameras with them on sometimes, like the RED camera.. and wonder what is the purpose of it.
As you can see in the picture(s) of my rig, there are a few items connected to those rails (matte-box, follow-focus, etc.) and when you put on a different size lens, all those contraptions have to slide into position accordingly.

-- peer
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Major Player

So the rails help line pieces up to snap together? I thought it might be to "glide" the camera on the rails which would be mounted to the tripod, sort of like a small version of a dolly to give you a small bit of gliding action for smoother movement. It would be limited range, lot less than the Glidetrak from what I ca see. Does the rails also add stability?
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD