DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   netbook wired remote (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/238586-netbook-wired-remote.html)

Denis OKeefe July 7th, 2009 09:16 AM

netbook wired remote

1 Attachment(s)
I hooked up a dell mini9 running OSX and the Canon utilites for a remote viewfinder/controller. The image has a bit of delay in it but I can control all the camera functions and roll video record unlike the DSLR app on the iphone.
Ideally I'd like to be able to tether the iphone and roll from there for shots where I just can't see the liveview viewfinder.
All this is an attempt to use what I have around and not buy an hdmi field monitor quite yet.

Chris Hurd July 7th, 2009 09:41 AM

Well done. I'm pretty sure that can be accomplished via Win XP as well... I'll give it a shot with my Mini 9.

Matthew Roddy July 7th, 2009 01:48 PM

Hi Dennis. Good Show.

I'm on a PC, and have been trying to figure out the EOS utility. It kicked my butt last weekend. I couldn't figure out how to manipulate the camera past white balance. I couldn't even get the Utility to make my 5DM2 Record.

I went through the manual once and didn't find it all that helpful. I'll do so again because of how thoroughly I was beaten on my last shoot, but do you have any tips/tricks/video tutorials you can pass along?

Mark Hahn July 7th, 2009 07:52 PM

You have to open the live-view window, then click assorted icons on the bottom left to get the recording button to show up. Then that button will start/stop the video. This is important to know because tethering the camera to EOS utility will disable the camera controls.

I hate it but I use it.

By the way, not only is the video over USB delayed, but the frame rate is quite low. Also you need to know you can only record on the CF card, even when you use EOS utility.

Denis OKeefe July 7th, 2009 08:15 PM

THe buttons are far from intuitive, but they do work. I called the 800 number for Canon support and spoke to Nicole in the Virginia office. She was great, knew the camera through and through and knew when and who to ask about the software. Sorry, I'm away from my phone and don't have the number handy but it is on the website under support. The software does not delay on my mac, only on the way underpowered netbook, this may be the excuse to get the ram upgrade.

Once the utility opens, under "camera control" click "camera settings/remote shooting", then under "tools" enable liveview shooting. On the lower left between the green arrow and the "record button" that doesn't do anythng is an icon. Hit that and the "record button" will then work, recording to the camera CF card.

Matthew Roddy July 8th, 2009 12:54 PM

Thanks very much. I must be missing that button that "arms" the camera Record button.
I'm away from my camera and the EOS Utility right now, but I'll check it out this weekend.

I have a Toshiba laptop working Vista (yuk), and notice a framerate drop (I'd GUESS I'm looking at 10-12fps), but no real noticeable "delay."

Thanks again!

Brian David Melnyk March 11th, 2011 06:36 AM

Re: netbook wired remote

reviving this thread! i am trying to record video with eos utility on windows 7 netbook. i have tried eos utility 1.0 (won't recognize 5D mkii), 2.5, 2.6, 2.7.3 (all work BUT there is no record button or controls on the live view screen). i know version 2.8 removed the record button (huh? why???), but these earlier versions do not seem to have the button. very frustrated and cannot find any info!
suggestions? anyone making this work?
it works on my macs (version 2.8), but i want the netbook portability for focus.