DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Portable Tripod for 5DII with 70-200mm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/238629-portable-tripod-5dii-70-200mm.html)

Ramesh Singh July 7th, 2009 10:58 PM

Portable Tripod for 5DII with 70-200mm

I really had a bad time using my otherwise nice Velborn DV-7000 with 5D2 and 70-200mm. I had to run all over the place and I just couldn't keep the Lens fixed, as it would fall over with immense 70-200mm weight. This tripod has good pan but tilt was miserable, especially with heavy long lens.

I would appreciate input for a tall and sturdy but portable Tripod (I can't use anything else with 5D2 & 70-200mm). I was looking into those 90" plus Tripods by Bogen, anyone has experience with those.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel Barker July 8th, 2009 12:32 AM

I have one of those Velbon tripods. It is pretty flimsy & lightweight compared to a Manfrotto MN055XB or MN755XB.

Apart from a better tripod the other thing that should stop it toppling over is using a tripod ring that fixes the lens to the tripod rather than fixing the camera. It is better balanced when you do this.

Ramesh Singh July 8th, 2009 01:55 AM

70-200mm comes with a Tripod ring, and it does balance with 5D2, but the tilt action on flimsy Velbon is too loose (even after tightening it as much as you can) for the weight.

I am leaning towards Gitzo GT3541XLS (low weight, nice height - 78"), anyone has any opinion on this tripod. And any good fluid heads to go this tripod?

Olof Ekbergh July 10th, 2009 12:01 PM

I use the Miller Solo, it is a video tripod with great liquid head I use the 10 and the Carbon Fiber sticks.

It is very light and extends up to 76". And the head is world class smooth.

Jon Fairhurst July 10th, 2009 01:00 PM

For longer lenses without image stabilization, a smooth tripod is a must.

I picked up a Bogen 516 head on 3193 legs on eBay for just over $300. The thing is a beast, but is smooth enough.

The legs have only one level of extension, but each section has two tubes. That helps it avoid twisting and kick back. It's got a 100mm leveling ball, which is nice.

The head is smooth, but has a monster spring that is not adjustable. It's made for a much heavier camera. That means that I have to hold it in position if tilted up or down. Oh well. For $300, I can live with this shortcoming. Eventually, I'll figure out how to modify the spring or rig some weights to balance it out...

Anyway, things to look for are:
* 2 tubes per section
* Leveling ball (75mm minimum)
* Fluid drag for both pan and tilt
* Adjustable tilt compensation spring

Jimmy Conway July 10th, 2009 06:08 PM

sorry i meant to post on another thread.

Dan Chung July 12th, 2009 07:32 PM

Depends how portable you want it to be. Whatever you get should have a levelling head. You get can levelling base add ons for regular tripods but most are not that good. Acratech Acratech Leveling Base (fits 1/4-20 tripod heads)*::*Leveling Bases*::*Acratech make the only levelling add on that I personally like.

I have a Gitzo 2940LVL (replaced by 2941LVL I think) with a Gitzo fluid head Gitzo SA | le choix des professionels which is pretty sturdy given its size

If I want more stability I have a Miller Solo DS20 which is almost the perfect tripod in my mind.

Dan

Dan Brockett July 15th, 2009 08:54 PM

My Sachtler DV-6SB with the Miller Solo DV carbon legs is rock solid with the 5D MKII on board. Costs about the same as the 5D MKII. All you need to remember is that with tripods and heads, you get what you pay for.

IMHO, best cheapo tripods and heads on the market by far are the Libecs.

I own two Bogens and hate them.

Dan

Matt Gottshalk July 15th, 2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1172278)
My Sachtler DV-6SB with the Miller Solo DV carbon legs is rock solid with the 5D MKII on board. Costs about the same as the 5D MKII. All you need to remember is that with tripods and heads, you get what you pay for.

IMHO, best cheapo tripods and heads on the market by far are the Libecs.

I own two Bogens and hate them.

Dan

+1 on that.

I use my Sachtler DV-8SB both with the 5dMkII and HVX-200.

It was worth every penny.

Jeremy Nicholl July 21st, 2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1170981)

If I want more stability I have a Miller Solo DS20 which is almost the perfect tripod in my mind.

Dan

You mean the complete Miller package?

Does the head work well with the 5d2? Any balance problems? I like the look of the Miller legs since they seem very adaptable, but I’ve seen people enthuse about the legs and complain about the head. I also wonder whether according to the specs the ds10 head might be more suitable for the 5d2 than the larger ds20.

Rickey Brillantes July 21st, 2009 06:15 AM

Im using the Safari Carbon Tripod, perfect for my 5D Mk II with the 70-200 attached.
For $389.00 this is the best tripod for it's price.

www.safaritripod.com

Wayne Avanson July 21st, 2009 06:53 AM

S'funny. I have the Velbon DV7000 and find it's ace. Light enough to stick in a case when going abroad but sturdy enough for the 5D2 and 70-200 (with the lends ring)

I usually hook my bag over it to give it extra weight if needed.

Just wish it was a little taller that's all