LitePanels Micro and MicroPro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

LitePanels Micro and MicroPro

Anyone using one of these with their 5DMKII?

Is there any reason to go with the Micro over the MicroPro, or is the MicroPro going to be more versatile with its greater light output?
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Major Player

The litepanels micro is a really nice fill light, great for putting a bit of light into the eyes. I've used it with the big broadcast cameras, the xdcams and now the D5 and wouldn't be without one on a job.
Unless you're using it for fill in broad daylight I don't think you really need more output that the original - it seems I usually used it dialed down, especially with the low light sensitivity of the 5D.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the Micro Pro and have used it a lot to quickly throw some light on something. It works great, I think the only reason to go with the old micro is price. The new version is fairly powerful.
Jon Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jon, how far down can you dial the Micro Pro?

How would two Micros compare to one Micro Pro? (aside from being $100 more for the combo)
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Now you're talking Peter - one of each, plus another as a spare! Beats carrying a Suburban worth of lighting.....
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Just a word of warning that no technology trumps physics.

ANY on-camera light will by necessity be limited in light emitting surface size. At a reasonable distance, therefore, all of them will act as point sources. So expect specular hightlights. That might be great in the eyes as catch light highlights - but be TERRIBLE as a specular highlight reflected from eyeglasses, or blooming off a modestly oily cheek or forehead.

As I've opined in other threads, on-axis camera mounted lighting is, IMO, a VERY specialized tool that needs to be used with utmost discretion.

If not, you risk all your video becoming the equivalent of drivers license pictures in motion - bright enough, but a far cry from the sumptuously lit portraits that good cinematography strives to create.

YMMV, Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Might Be Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chang View Post
Anyone using one of these with their 5DMKII?

Is there any reason to go with the Micro over the MicroPro, or is the MicroPro going to be more versatile with its greater light output?
This may be of interest.

R-50 LED Video Light Panel - eBay (item 350196380356 end time Jul-28-09 13:56:46 PDT)
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Bill, I don't think the micro panel is the equivelent of the "f8 and be there" camera mount light of local news fame. It can be dimmed, and in fact probably has to be dimmed with the camera we are speaking of. Any technology has the capacity to be misused, the tendency to misuse over time is usually self correcting. Shoot an interview with a 16mm or a 300mm without a specific intent and it will look awful. Crank up the light, or don't use one when you should, your results will suffer and probably look awful too. Most folks looking at lights to improve their work will in fact improve their work using lights. Some will not. Either way, it is not the fault of the equipment.
It is a good piece of gear - if you want eyelights and facial fill put it on the camera. If you want to avoid specular highlights turn it down or get it off the camera axis.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Major Player

More robust?

I recall some of the original issues with these lights were there fragile construction. Does this still apply and is the pro model more robust as well as brighter?

I have been getting into the habit of taking a mic stand and using it as an off axis source. The old school lead acid packs are killing me though. Would love to have an alternative.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #10
New Boot

I love my Micro. It works just as you'd want a small fill light to work. I am definitey not a lighting expert, but its uncanny that you can so EASILY dim the light and very seldom not get it right. It just seems to work eyeballing the right amount of light. I sometimes use it on camera, or the last time I used it was when a bunch of my friends got together. They are mostly professional singers, so there has to be some showoff singing at the piano. It's just a home, and no lighting setups. I just set the Micro on the piano, dialed it in and used it for fill light against some bright table lamp backlighting. I just wish it was cheaper and less plasticky. The hotshoe attachment on the non-Pro seems less than strong, but so far I haven't broken it.
Steve Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have one of each. The original is great on an ex3. A good weight for hand held.

I have the newer one on my 700 on a small arm. It's a great onboard light and especially with the arm I can get it slightly off axis. I keep the small one on a gorillapod and I can rig it in a second as a backlight for quick i/v's.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I have the LP Micro. It would say it's fairly weak in output. Only for for fill-in close up shots. It's really flimsy and fragile. The dimmer dial already broke twice. Bad design battery compartment (it tends to push the battery out). I use high rate rechargable batteries but yeild about 45 minutes of usage. Near the end of battery life, the light will flicker. The flickering is recorded to the video. Over price (I paid $340).

Looks like the Pro version has addressed some of the issues. At least it has a metal shoe adapter I think (can anybody confirm?)

I put together a video comparing some other lights including LP Micro. Check it out

YouTube - 6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout - Test #1 Small Room

YouTube - 6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout - Test #2 Medium Size Room
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Trustee

Takey is right about the poor quality of the original micro. The micro pro is better in quality than the original micro and has twice the power output of the micro. Like they all say, it is meant to be a fill light. If you are using it with a videocamera I would say the micro pro or even the miniplus would be a better bet for sure.

I would take the Pro as the 5D2 is alr very awesome under low light with the right lens. The Micro Pro being lightweight, and casting the most uniform lighting (chk it out by looking from the side) and use of AA batt makes it quite a good companion in my opinion.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I'm skeptical about MicroPro as I have been ripped off once buying LP Micro. It is no brighter than my Canon VL-10 light which is a 10-Watt output. So I dont know how much I trust LP's spec. Using AA batteries is good only because you can buy them everywhere. Wouldn't it be nice LP made several battery adapter so you can use the same batteries your cameras or camcorders are using?

For that few months I use LP Micro, I found out I have to charge and bring 16 AA batteries with me and keep changing them every hour so I can make it through the wedding reception. Imagine how messy is that you need to replace 4 AA batteries holding everything in your hand. And at the same time LP micro battery compartment keep pushing the batteries out. You do all that while events are happening in the reception. Two hands, holding LP Micro + 4 old batteries + 4 new batteries that you don't want to mix up. I can't imagine what it would be like to replace 6 batteries and holding another 6 at the same time.

Then I swith to SWIT lights and Comer lights. They uses the big batteries my camcorder is using. much easier to handle. For the SWIt light, I use the high capacity canon battery that last all night in the reception. For the Comer lights, my photographer loves it as he doesn't have to fire his flash at all to take really good photos.

LP mini looks good when I see all the demo video. But it's way too pricey.

I am aware this is the Canon still camera post. So your experience will be different than mine. :)
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I use the Energiser E2 Lithium Batteries. They last a very long time. (Taky, you may want to give them a try).

Lite Panels are expensive. I have worked a lot with the 1x1 and the Mini Plus. But they are both over priced. I chose the Micro Pro over the Mini Plus due to the cost and the weight.

You can run the Mini Plus with a different battery back. (including a variety of camera batteries).

There is also a D Tap power cable for the Micro Pro coming out at some stage.

The Micro Pro has a 1/4 20 thread in the bottom which is good, and there is a shoe mount adaptor that comes with it. Or you can easily attach a Noga Arm or similar.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD