DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   is there a time limit on video recording (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/238755-there-time-limit-video-recording.html)

Stan Kern July 9th, 2009 05:18 PM

is there a time limit on video recording

I was told to keep the amount of video recording to a minimum,also stick to the 4gig stoarge cards to protect the camera as it gets hot,is this true ,is it ok to shoot say 8 minutes of video straight

Chris Hurd July 9th, 2009 05:21 PM

You can shoot up to twelve minutes at a time in HD mode (which will just fill a 4GB card, by the way) and up to 30 minutes at a time in standard definition. Hope this helps,

Bill Binder July 9th, 2009 05:47 PM

Technically, the "real" limit is 4gigs. Canon quotes 12 minutes, but it'll vary depending on what you're actually shooting. For example, for sit down static interviews, I typically get more like 13+ minutes, but again it depends on motion and background, etc.

Evan Donn July 9th, 2009 05:48 PM

I've shot up to ~30 minutes in HD and haven't experienced heat-related problems - but you do have to stop/start every 12 minutes, you can almost just double-tap the record button and drop just a second or so between clips.

Jon Fairhurst July 9th, 2009 06:12 PM

I've read that you can get up to 14 minutes or so, if you're filming a talking head or other static scene. If you're hand holding the camera on a white water raft, the time limit might be shorter.

Colin Pearce July 10th, 2009 12:48 AM

I'd suggest "sticking to 4GB" cards is the result of a misunderstanding.

I believe the 5DII is limited to 4GB individual file size because the file system it uses to be compatible both with Macs and PCs has that restriction.

Nigel Barker July 10th, 2009 02:38 AM

I think that it's a good idea to have multiple SD cards whatever the size. They do fail occasionally & it would be a disaster if you had all your eggs in one 32GB basket rather than a few 4,8 or 16GB cards.

Chris Hurd July 10th, 2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1169689)
multiple SD cards

I know you meant to say multiple CF cards, but it's important to make the correction for the benefit of other folks who may not be fully familiar with the 5D Mk. II.

Stan Kern July 10th, 2009 07:46 AM

thanks for the info

I appreciate all the answers and feel more comfortable now using the video

stan

Nigel Barker July 10th, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1169758)
I know you meant to say multiple CF cards, but it's important to make the correction for the benefit of other folks who may not be fully familiar with the 5D Mk. II.

Now I see my problem. No wonder the little buggers kept falling out the card slot:-)

Thanks for pulling me up for inaccuracy.

Chris Hurd July 10th, 2009 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heh. "That rattle in your camera is normal, it's just the stabilizer mechanism sliding around."

Andrew Reyna July 11th, 2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1169812)
Heh. "That rattle in your camera is normal, it's just the stabilizer mechanism sliding around."

Lol. SDHC card firmware update please.