DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Suggestions for small monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/238830-suggestions-small-monitor.html)

Chad Dyle June 2nd, 2009 03:57 PM

On camera monitor for handheld shots?

It looks like I'm about to sell some Nikon stuff and purchase the 5D Mk. II for weddings. I am considering mounting a small monitor on the camera for handheld stuff. Which models are you using? What are the limitations of the camera during recording?

TIA

Jon Fairhurst June 2nd, 2009 04:03 PM

Note that the output is reduced to 480i when recording. An HD monitor doesn't necessarily buy you anything. Then again, try finding a true 480 line SD monitor. You might end up with a 720p monitor that upscales.

If you choose to go the HDMI route, make sure that your monitor supports 480i and 1080p over HDMI. My HDMI PC monitor doesn't support 480i - if connected it locks up the camera when I start recording. It's fine for playback though.

The other solution is a Hoodloupe or Zacuto Z-finder.

Chad Dyle June 8th, 2009 09:37 AM

The Z-Finder looks like the best bet right now. I've been hearing about problems keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera. Thanks for the input on the resolution dropping off.

Nigel Barker June 8th, 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 1155571)
The Z-Finder looks like the best bet right now. I've been hearing about problems keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera.

There is no problem keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera provided you don't use the Hoodman solution. There are at least 2 different home-made solutions that work really well. It's not like the Z-Finder has some super-duper solution as it is only attached with Velcro although Zacuto now also recommend the Hoodman $20 rubber band too.

Don Miller June 8th, 2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 1155571)
The Z-Finder looks like the best bet right now. I've been hearing about problems keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera. Thanks for the input on the resolution dropping off.

I haven't touched the whole Zacuto z-finder setup, but for me that is the first handheld system that looks complete. Right size, right weight, and is how many people naturally shoot handheld.

I don't see any way a monitor could be superior to that Zacuto system for doing real work. A monitor might be preferable if the camera was moving on and off legs, however.

Jon Fairhurst June 8th, 2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 1155929)
I don't see any way a monitor could be superior to that Zacuto system for doing real work. A monitor might be preferable if the camera was moving on and off legs, however.

A monitor is better for almost anything except a shoulder rig or an eye level tripod.

I've built myself a shoulder rig and a balance rig, similar to the SteadyTracker. On the shoulder, a loupe rocks. Not so much for the balance rig.

FWIW, I find the shoulder rig to be excellent for the "human tripod" approach, but I simply can't walk as smoothly as I'd like with it. On the other hand, I can run with the balance rig. ;)

Don Miller June 9th, 2009 06:37 AM

I wasn't thinking of steadycam, just trying to erase an earlier image burned into my mind:

http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/images/5D_rig_b.jpg

Denis OKeefe July 10th, 2009 06:45 PM

Suggestions for small monitor

I'm familiar with the new Small HD monitor - too big to be camera mounted for me. Any suggestions for other hdmi video? Something around the size of the EX3 screen would be fine - of if someone could come up with a way to tether an iphone or ipod touch out of the usb port to deliver monitoring ( a task way beyond my abilities) would work nicely.
Ideas?

Matthew Roddy July 13th, 2009 11:11 AM

Have you checked out the offerings from IKAN (ikan.com) or VariZoom ( VariZoom Lens Controls - Zoom &amp Focus Controls, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits )?
I personally can't recommend either, since I haven't used them, but they're smaller and have a decent rep.

Tramm Hudson July 13th, 2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1153055)
If you choose to go the HDMI route, make sure that your monitor supports 480i and 1080p over HDMI.

One minor correction, Jon -- I believe the 5D is 1080i on the HDMI output while in preview or playback mode and 480p while recording (until we manage to fix that, too).

Denis OKeefe July 13th, 2009 12:06 PM

sooo - it looks like Ikan or SmallHD

Ikan has a 5.6 inch monitor with hdmi for around 600 dollars. They also have an 8 inch that compares with the small hd 8 inch, both around $800. Does anyone have any side by side comparisons? I realize the small hd only recently began delivery.

Cody Dulock July 13th, 2009 12:10 PM

You can also check out the Manhattan monitors.