Suggestions for small monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

On camera monitor for handheld shots?

It looks like I'm about to sell some Nikon stuff and purchase the 5D Mk. II for weddings. I am considering mounting a small monitor on the camera for handheld stuff. Which models are you using? What are the limitations of the camera during recording?

TIA
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Note that the output is reduced to 480i when recording. An HD monitor doesn't necessarily buy you anything. Then again, try finding a true 480 line SD monitor. You might end up with a 720p monitor that upscales.

If you choose to go the HDMI route, make sure that your monitor supports 480i and 1080p over HDMI. My HDMI PC monitor doesn't support 480i - if connected it locks up the camera when I start recording. It's fine for playback though.

The other solution is a Hoodloupe or Zacuto Z-finder.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Major Player

The Z-Finder looks like the best bet right now. I've been hearing about problems keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera. Thanks for the input on the resolution dropping off.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
The Z-Finder looks like the best bet right now. I've been hearing about problems keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera.
There is no problem keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera provided you don't use the Hoodman solution. There are at least 2 different home-made solutions that work really well. It's not like the Z-Finder has some super-duper solution as it is only attached with Velcro although Zacuto now also recommend the Hoodman $20 rubber band too.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
The Z-Finder looks like the best bet right now. I've been hearing about problems keeping the Hoodloupe on the camera. Thanks for the input on the resolution dropping off.

I haven't touched the whole Zacuto z-finder setup, but for me that is the first handheld system that looks complete. Right size, right weight, and is how many people naturally shoot handheld.

I don't see any way a monitor could be superior to that Zacuto system for doing real work. A monitor might be preferable if the camera was moving on and off legs, however.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
I don't see any way a monitor could be superior to that Zacuto system for doing real work. A monitor might be preferable if the camera was moving on and off legs, however.
A monitor is better for almost anything except a shoulder rig or an eye level tripod.

I've built myself a shoulder rig and a balance rig, similar to the SteadyTracker. On the shoulder, a loupe rocks. Not so much for the balance rig.

FWIW, I find the shoulder rig to be excellent for the "human tripod" approach, but I simply can't walk as smoothly as I'd like with it. On the other hand, I can run with the balance rig. ;)
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #7
Major Player

I wasn't thinking of steadycam, just trying to erase an earlier image burned into my mind:

http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/images/5D_rig_b.jpg
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Suggestions for small monitor

I'm familiar with the new Small HD monitor - too big to be camera mounted for me. Any suggestions for other hdmi video? Something around the size of the EX3 screen would be fine - of if someone could come up with a way to tether an iphone or ipod touch out of the usb port to deliver monitoring ( a task way beyond my abilities) would work nicely.
Ideas?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Have you checked out the offerings from IKAN (ikan.com) or VariZoom ( VariZoom Lens Controls - Zoom &amp Focus Controls, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits )?
I personally can't recommend either, since I haven't used them, but they're smaller and have a decent rep.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
If you choose to go the HDMI route, make sure that your monitor supports 480i and 1080p over HDMI.
One minor correction, Jon -- I believe the 5D is 1080i on the HDMI output while in preview or playback mode and 480p while recording (until we manage to fix that, too).
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Major Player

sooo - it looks like Ikan or SmallHD

Ikan has a 5.6 inch monitor with hdmi for around 600 dollars. They also have an 8 inch that compares with the small hd 8 inch, both around $800. Does anyone have any side by side comparisons? I realize the small hd only recently began delivery.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Major Player

You can also check out the Manhattan monitors.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD