Shooting in candlelight on the 5d at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 11th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Trustee

Shooting in candlelight on the 5d

I did some filming in a Russian Church crypt where a famous Russian actor read some poems by a Russian Poet.

Much was lit with candles, highlighting the astonishing low light of the 5d.

Detailed blog on how it was shot, what was used, sound, lenses etc here:

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Shooting on 5dmkII with candlelight, glidetrack, vari-nds
Attached Thumbnails
Shooting in candlelight on the 5d-c1s4t3.jpg   Shooting in candlelight on the 5d-mvi_9184.jpg  

Shooting in candlelight on the 5d-c1s3t6a.jpg  
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Beautiful.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Wizard Status

Your shot is reminiscent of the famous Barry Lyndon candle scenes, but filmed without requiring the ultra-fast f/0.7 lenses.

Your findings about the mid-step ISOs having less noise is certainly corroborated by all of the tests that everyone else has done. Why is still a big unknown.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Your shot is reminiscent of the famous Barry Lyndon candle scenes, but filmed without requiring the ultra-fast f/0.7 lenses.

Your findings about the mid-step ISOs having less noise is certainly corroborated by all of the tests that everyone else has done. Why is still a big unknown.
Barry Lyndon was much in my mind when planning this shoot. Shows how insanely sensitive the camera is. Now those mid ISOs, that is annoying!
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Trustee

Beautiful images and good choice going with a sound guy. I've never enjoyed room reflections before but the balance you achieved provided a great atmosphere. I don't think I would want to manage sound and video on that many setups and it would probably tire out the talent waiting for everything.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD