DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Trigger camera and Zoom H4n same time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/239005-trigger-camera-zoom-h4n-same-time.html)

Steve Cahill July 14th, 2009 07:19 AM

Trigger camera and Zoom H4n same time

Does anyone know if there exists a interface to put the 5D Mk. ll and the Zoom H4n into record mode at the same time?

Dan Chung July 14th, 2009 07:56 AM

Not that I'm aware of, however it should be possible to contruct a remote for the Sony PCM D-50 as it has a dedicated remote socket and optional remote controller.

Dan

Jon Fairhurst July 14th, 2009 08:29 AM

Unless your controller gets feedback from the two units, or can send discrete ON and OFF commands (rather than a TRIGGER command), you risk getting them out of sync.

Let's say you accidentally do a quick double-press and one unit reads ON, and the other ON-OFF. The rest of the day you'll record video without audio and audio without video...

Steve Cahill July 14th, 2009 09:37 AM

I just want to automate the recorder going into play, and stoping when the camera does the same. I would visually check to see if the audio was in fact in record, and off.

Evan Donn July 14th, 2009 10:10 AM

There is a cabled remote for the H4n, so it's certainly physically possible, but not sure it would be easy. I've just stopped bothering with stopping/starting the H4n with the camera. I just run the audio continuously and only stop it if there's a long break in shooting.

Christopher Lovenguth July 14th, 2009 10:50 AM

On another note, if this unit (which I have and love) keeps getting pushed at great audio option for the 5D, I wish they would change their file system. I HATE IT!

How hard is it to keep sequentially changing the file number even after you have moved files off the H4N? Ideally if they would give us the option to start a file number anywhere we want we could just "sync" the file number name to the 5D filename. Then just keep count each time even when the files are moved I'd be happy. I use the 4 track option which doesn't even allow you to use the date as a file name. You know how many 4CH000M/4CH000I files I have on one HD? I just don't understand how this could be overlooked at Zoom that people need some sort of easy organization. Yeah I can go in and rename each file later, but what a pain and time consumption that can be easily avoided. Oh and what's up with the date created being 12/31/03 7:00pm ALWAYS? And yes I have my date and time set correctly on the H4N, this is some sort of software bug.

Sorry just dealing with this all morning long on my latest recordings and then saw this post. I really love this recorder paired with 2 Sennheiser G2s, this is my only gripe that really gets to me everytime I start post-work.

Ray Bell July 14th, 2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1171585)
Not that I'm aware of, however it should be possible to contruct a remote for the Sony PCM D-50 as it has a dedicated remote socket and optional remote controller.

Dan

The PCM D-50 also has a pre-record of 5 seconds.. so it works quite well with the 5DMK2

Hugh Mobley July 16th, 2009 10:56 AM

I am looking for some mounts to mount my Zoom, is there a company out there specializing in stuff like this, next best thing is a plate for the shoe

Bruce G. Cleveland July 16th, 2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley (Post 1172523)
I am looking for some mounts to mount my Zoom, is there a company out there specializing in stuff like this, next best thing is a plate for the shoe

Zacuto sells a really nice mounting system for under $200. Too pricey for me.

Bruce

Denis OKeefe July 16th, 2009 11:43 AM

I've been using the "U Boat Commander" (pretty silly name, I don't call it that in public) from IBC photography. Bruce Dorn put some thought and experience into this, it is a bit over $200 in the configuration I bought, but it saved me having to go out and get it built.
It is light, very well machined, and as I said thought out to cover a host of eventualities.
I have an old Leica table top tripod from many years ago, when combined with a Blackrapid strap this rig it rests against my chest and allows me to handhold, move and shoot comfortably.