Slow shutter speed video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Slow shutter speed video

I'd like the option of shooting video at less than 1/30th, but can't see a way to do that out of the box. I've just begun playing/working with Magic Lantern - is that the path to slow shutter speeds? If so, I'll add it to the list of feature requests.
As a side note, the Canon manual gives me a headache - my hat is off to Tramm for his fantastic (and perhaps potential insanity causing)work.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You can't shoot slower than 1/30, given that it starts a new frame 30 times a second. The solution is to blend frames in post.

How to do this depends on your NLE. One of the easiest ways is to double the track, slide one clip by a frame and mess with the opacity of the top timeline. Setting the opacity to 50% simulates 1/15th. You can add more tracks with more frame offsets for longer simulated exposures.

Again, your particular NLE might offer a more elegant solution.
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Major Player

THe EX3 gives me a slow shutter option that once in a while works just perfectly. To combine that with the 35mm "look" (without a lens adapter) would be terrific. Unfortunately post is not an option.
So it goes on my "wish list".
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe View Post
Unfortunately post is not an option.
Are you shooting live?
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Jon, sorry to have dropped the topic. Yes, the EX shoots slow shutter on live video. It is still 24, 30 or 60 frames per second, each is just slower (or faster) than 1/30th.
It is a useful effect especially for those "crime scene" "drug" "dream" sequences. Here is a short sample - an outtake from a recent project:

By Denis OKeefe On ExposureRoom

It would be useful to have full shutter control of the Canon in video mode, just wondering if it is possible. I'll put it on the Magic Lantern feature request list.
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That's definitely achievable in post. Unless you're shooting live, I'm not sure why that's not an option.

Here's the good news: rolling shutter distortion can actually add to the drug/dream effect. :)

Such a feature isn't likely to happen in Magic Lantern soon, since this would involve changing the image processing pipeline, rather than control and overlays.
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Major Player

too bad, guess I'll have to see about making it happen in post
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Major Player

"I just set the camera to half a second exposure and kept shooting in continuous mode."

It's interesting, I was thinking it's too bad you can regulate the speed of the continuous shooting mode but it didn't occur to me that using slow shutter speeds would allow you to do this. I guess the max 'accurate' slow shutter speed you could use would be 1/4 as 3.9 fps is the limit for continuous stills.

Is it possible to shoot continuously with the electronic shutter only? It seems like that would be ideal so as to avoid wear & tear on the mechanical shutter.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
Is it possible to shoot continuously with the electronic shutter only? It seems like that would be ideal so as to avoid wear & tear on the mechanical shutter.
If you shoot in Live View, you avoid the flipping the mirror, but the mechanical shutter still clicks.

BTW, if you shoot timelapse with a small aperture, press the DOF button and untwist the lens. Otherwise the aperture opens and closes for each shot. This causes the aperture to change shot to shot, resulting in flicker.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD