Pelican/Storm cases for 5d mkii ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Pelican/Storm cases for 5d mkii ?

Couple of questions.

I'm off to Vietnam soon, and have ordered my 5d MKii. It'll probably be quite rainy so i'm looking into Pelican and Storm cases as an option. A friend of mine ruined an expensive Nikon lens traveling last year so i'm wary of doing the same thing. And i like these cases anyway.
Any recommendations regarding size/models?
I'll have the 24 - 105 kit lens, but a little extra space would be nice, though i'd like to keep the box at a reasonable size.

Are there any other waterproof case/bag options?

Also, are the cheaper 32 gig class1 Transcend CF cards suitable for video? This one for eg:

Amazon.co.uk: transcend 32gb
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Dom,

I understand your concern about protecting your camera from the weather ( we are currently experiencing a typhoon) but I would be concerned that a Pelican could attract thieves. I would advise a non-descript bag with a waterproof lining or the camera placed inside a plastic liner bag and then in a "cheap looking" shoulder bag

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Given your criteria I think I would look for a backpack that is designed to fit straight inside a Pelican case, best of both worlds. This Think tank is great AIRPORT? ANTIDOTE v.2 - thinkTANKphoto from Snapperstuff photographic products

The NatureScapes.Net Store :: Bags & Cases :: Think Tank Photo Airport Ultra Light V2.0

Some good bag recommendations here Carrying the Camera 101 by Thom Hogan

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
I'm off to Vietnam soon, and have ordered my 5d MKii. It'll probably be quite rainy so i'm looking into Pelican and Storm cases as an option.
Over the years I've had a few Pelicans, and currently I also have one for my 5D -- a 1510. To me it's perfect since it's small enough to be a carry-on luggage and yet fits my entire rig: Pelican™*Products*1510*Carry On Case

-- peer
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Bob, why would something like a pelicase attract thieves? Cameras are always going to be a target whatever they're in.

Dan. That looks nice but for 1 camera and 1 lens its a bit much no?

Peer. That looks pretty big for my needs.

I was looking at something like this

Pelican™*Products*1200*Case

or this

Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I use two Pelican 1510 cases... the wife carries one and I carry the other...

I bought a backpack harness that converts the case so it can be carried on the back....

They work out well and very flexible in configurations.. they also have a camera lens insert that allows you to set it up anyway you want...

The pictures on the Pelican site make the case look much bigger than it actually is in real life...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
I use two Pelican 1510 cases. [...] The pictures on the Pelican site make the case look much bigger than it actually is in real life...
Yes indeed -- even if this case (the 1510) host all my 5D gear -- including camera, follow-focus, matte-box, several lenses, 19" carbon rails, tripod, etc.) it's still a carry-on luggage -- it's tiny compared to the other Pelican cases that I have.

-- peer
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Dom,

In Hong Kong most people carry their stills camera in a backpack but when you see somebody carrying a pelican case you immediately know that what is inside is a bit more expensive than the average camera.

Having said that, I own 3 or 4 pelican cases for various pieces of film equipment but when these cases go out it is with a big crew and several camera assistants who are able to keep a constant eye on them.

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Major Player

I use Pelicans too.
I haven't had anything stolen yet, but I'm pretty careful about where I leave my gear and how protected it is.
I agree that Pelicans and similar make a sweet-looking target, since they are so professional in appearance and function. But hey, that's all part of the image, right?

I'm not looking forward to the day something is taken, but so far, so good.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Bob Thompson.

Point taken, but i have a cheap and cheerful knapsack that this little stormcase would fit into nicely. Apart from that it would be round my neck. I was thinking more about the rain etc.

In poor countries anything worth more than a tenner is attractive to thieves. I'm not sure a plastic box is much of an added incentive.

Dan Chung.

If you're still with us, i watched the excellent film you shot of the Uighurs in Urumchi for The Guardian earlier today. Great stuff, and a testament to this cameras potential in trying conditions.

Thanks for that.

I was in Kashgar and Urumchi in 1993 and still follow the fortunes of these beleaguered people.

D
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD