Do I add the 5D II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Do I add the 5D II

I am a photographer who does a few wedding videos, mainly because I love video.

I have 2 Canon XHA1's, an HV30 with all the pro audio.

Camera bodies I have 1d III, 1ds III and 5D,
Lenses I have 300 2.8 IS, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 85 1.2, 24-105 4.0 IS

I am thinking I should sell one of the XHA1's and get a 5D II, to use the shallow DOF I would get from my fast lenses. Also makes sense to have another camera body that can do both.

I would still have 2 HD video cameras that can do 24, 30 and 60i video.

Any one else agree?
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The 5D2 is viable, especially now that we have manual control. The only thing that you can't really work around is the 12 minute (or so) limit that we get with the 4GB file size. Note that if your CF card is big enough, you can just press record again, so the gap is small. The other real-world challenge is achieving critical focus with people who are moving unpredictably. Both of these problems are countered by your other cameras. Also, if your audio keeps running, you can often cover gaps and poor focus with B-roll.

Given that you already have an EOS system, you can practice maintaining focus in live view. Stability is also important, and IS lenses can help.

But the real question is about creativity. What look do you want? Personally, I like the idea of using 5D2 video with other cameras where you push the differences in post, rather than try to make them match. You could give your camcorders a straight documentary look, while the 5D2 is presented like a glossy dream. Slowing your footage from 30p to 24p can be part of the dream feel.

If that level of creative expression is interesting to you and your clients, go for it. If you just want to match your existing look with shallow DOF, you might ask yourself how this helps tell the story that you want to present. You would risk making your other camcorders look dull, but you can't necessarily get enough clean coverage with the 5D2 to make it your main video camera.

Another possibility is to use the 5D2 for "micro stories", where you stage some pre-scripted scenes with the bride and groom. Focus distance would be predicatable, and you could do multiple takes to get it right. This isn't unlike staged photos during a wedding. Edited well, you'd have a small "Hollywood moment" in your video. Who knows? Maybe you could charge extra for it. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD