DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Realtime editing of native 5D2-MOVs with DIVIDE.FRAME GPUdecoder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/239914-realtime-editing-native-5d2-movs-divide-frame-gpudecoder.html)

Andreas Neubert July 28th, 2009 02:28 PM

Realtime editing of native 5D2-MOVs with DIVIDE.FRAME GPUdecoder?

Hast anyone tried GPUdecoder from DIVIDE.FRAME yet?
DIVIDE FRAME: Software solutions for the broadcast industry

Itīs said to make realtime editing possible in VEGAS+PREMIERE (PC) by letting the GPU do the decoding.
Sounds great, but some sources also report it only works when no effects/filters are applied.
In the latter case, Premiere would switch to internal decoding.

Iīm using Vegas and donīt have a supported Nvidia card yet - so I would appreciate any input about GPUdecoder.
It works only on Nvidia GPUs starting with the 8600 - only two 8800er models are not supported (no VideoDecoding onboard).

Best Regards,
Andreas

Andreas Neubert July 29th, 2009 04:14 PM

GPUdecoder quite impressive!

Have tested the free trial version of GPUdecoder today - and must say iīm quite impressed.
I can only speak vor Vegas Pro 9.0a - where the decoding always takes place on the GPU, even when I apply plugins like color correction etc. - the way it should be.

Editing is possible at full resolution and full 30fps with no plugin applied.

When you apply plugins, it depends on the CPU-power of the machine.
I can do fluid grading of the 5D2 files @ half resolution (960x540), on faster machines it might be possible in FullHD.

This is becoming a really interesting solution, as my Vegas itself is not capaple of previewing more than 5-7 frames per second - so I had to use proxys all the time.

With GPU decoder itīs possible to edit directly on the 5D2-MOVs, and grade with fluid preview at least at half resolution, which should be fair enough!
Only when thing like USM come in, it the framerate drops to something around 20fps - but that might be better with faster CPUs like the i7.

At 1/4-resolution, even USM and chroma blur etc. work - but that resolution wonīt give us an impression of whatīs happening.

GPU decoder also improves rendering speed, as decoding is done inside the GPU and CPU power is saved for plugin processing.

Jon Fairhurst July 29th, 2009 06:48 PM

Andreas,

What GPU, CPU, OS and RAM size are you using?

Andreas Neubert July 29th, 2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1178418)
Andreas,

What GPU, CPU, OS and RAM size are you using?

Nothing special:
Q6600 @ 2,4 or 3 Ghz (works fine @ 2,4 - renders bit faster @ 3)
WinXP 32bit SP3
4GB Ram
Nvidia 275 GTX

However some cheaper (really cheap indeed!) Nvidia cards are clocked higher:
The best deal is with GeForce 9800 GTX+ or GeForce GTS 250 (738Mhz)

Only GPU clock and PCIe speed matter for GPU decoding...

Jon Fairhurst July 29th, 2009 09:49 PM

Aack! Those GPUs have fans! (as I cross myself and lunge for the garlic...)

As a builder of (near)silent PCs, I've always been able to avoid GPU and motherboard fans. Maybe my next build will need water cooling...

Andreas Neubert July 30th, 2009 05:16 AM

You can take any card starting with the nvidia 8600er through 9xxx series to 2xx series and Quadro+ION.
Only two 8800er (GTS and ???) donīt support CUDA/PureVideo.

You can use passive cooled models - but their performance doesnīt guarantee realtime decoding for crossfades.

However: The very silent fan in my card doesnīt speed up like it does in games when the card is decoding... it stays more one the desktop side ...

Charles W. Hull July 30th, 2009 10:42 PM

cs4

I tried the demo with Premiere Pro CS4 and it reports errors and won't load. Checking the Divide.Frame forum there seem to still be bugs for Premiere. There may be a problem with the latest NVIDIA driver. I'll check the forum now and then and if it looks like the program stabilizes I'll try it again. Seems like a good idea, I was wondering when someone would have a GPU product that would support the 5DII.