My ever-evolving DSLR rig - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 30th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe View Post
Yikes Glen, the model looks like she is feeling your pain - good photos but evocative of the "trying to get this all to work" experience. I loved and promoted the Red Rock mattebox for the EX 3 but felt a bit dragged over the coals when I ordered some parts that did not work as advertised and got stuck with them - no return, no exchange. One solution is to buy from one of their few dealers who will take stuff back for a restock fee. For me, I'll move on, but Zacuto, great as it is costs too much. A shoulder mount that costs more than the camera is just nuts.
I'm using an old Leica table top tripod and an IBC "U boat commander" rig (I bet they regret that name by now). With that and occasionally a monopod I'm happy for handheld work.
We're local - we should start a bull***t session over a beer someday - send me a PM (or let the world know - they can all join us for a beer and some Canon talk). Bringing the model gets you extra points.
Hey Denis what are your thoughts on the IBC U Boat commander? Does it work well with the 5D Mark II? (stability, ease of use, etc.)I currently use either a monopod or tripod right now. As everyone like Glen has indicated, Red Rock and Zacuto parts are pricey.
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #17
Inner Circle

It is clear to me that Zacuto has chosen a path of designing for a look, as well as for usability. I used one of their expensive rod and plate system for a shoot last year. Beautiful colors and brushed aluminum design. I know the guy who had it paid $ 1,500 for it. It worked fine. We used it because it was there. I would not have bought it. But I could have put something together with aluminum and screws in my crude shop for about $ 30. if I had not had that. In fact, I had already built a cage for my HV20 to shoot that same film with a 35mm adapter, when the HVX200 we ultimately used suddenly became available.

In the end, it is clear to me that Zacuto makes a fine product. In addition to usability, they put a premium on design aesthetics and marketing- much the way Apple does, and it asks for a higher price much like Apple does. People who spring for that, believe the look and reputation of the product is worth something to their image.

But when I see pics of rigs set up on movie sets, its clear to me no one is worried about how the camera set up looks, and how things are dangled of it, as long as it does the job.
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #18
Major Player

I know a lot of people are "hung up" that the support gear costs more than the camera.
For me, this is a non-issue. If we were obliged to buy cameras of this quality from just a few years back, the support gear would pale by comparison. The fact that we have a killer camera for only a few grand is a bonus and the support gear should not be held up to that standard of expense.

Also, I figure my rails, matte box and follow focus from RedRock (heavy as they are) will follow me through this camera and on into the next few. I consider good support gear to be an investment for my productions for years to come. I hope they will WELL outlast this camera and the next - and the next. That makes an expensive purchase a bit more palatable - assuming the gear is quality and will last.

That all being said, I do look for the best cost vs. quality I can find. And I agree with most of you here that Zakuto has awesome product, but is over priced. I haven't purchased any of their gear, but would if it were more affordable to a guy like me.
I think the problem is (well, one of them anyway) that they won't be selling a gazillion of these products. They have a very niche market, and need to make money where they can, overhead or no. If they sold a bunch, they could likely drop the price.

I wonder where the bean counters draw the line: "If we price this unit at $1000.00, we'll sell 2. If we price it at $400.00, we'll sell 5." Hard call to make.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Functionality aside, Zacuto is about looking good and professional. For shooting with friends, this doesn't really matter. A home built job can make great video. But when shooting for clients, looking professional can get you that next gig that pays for the kit.

Sure, we can knock the high prices, but boutique gear has its place.
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #20
Major Player

This is my absolute favorite of boutique design by Z:
http://www.lcdvf.com/competitors/Zacuto_8072c.jpg

Sure this looks better, but still this is the best selling Z DSLR product:

... streamlined to VDSLR design?

Sorry for derailing,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #21
Major Player

IBC U boat commander

Responding to Allan from hours ago, I really like the IBC product, it is very well made and with the hoodman and a monopod I find I can get some really steady shouts. WHen I use it with my Leica table top tripod against my chest/shoulder it helps a great deal for hand held work. Several weeks ago I had to mount the Canon on the hood of a car, I wish I had the U Boat Commander then, it gives me a lot of places to bolt and mount stuf, and I can easily change things around.

The Red cameras and Cinevate have their versions of a "cage", for the Canon I think the IBC product best. I just ordered some Red Rock stuff to use a small matte box. My fingers are crossed.

I must say I do think "U Boat Commander" is a dumb name, but so far a really good product, and not unreasonably priced.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I bought one and am very happen with functionality AND pricepoint
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #23
Regular Crew

lower contrast to the bottom and the contrast 2 clicks (?)

I use the Neutral Preset and lower the contrast to the bottom and the contrast 2 clicks.[/QUOTE]

can anyone clarify this setting, thanks... love the picture profile on this thread
Ricci Ocampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #24
Contributor

Where can I find the U Boat Commander? Google isn't helping me.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #25
Regular Crew

U Boast Commander

Billy:
Go to idcphotography.com.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #26
Contributor

Ah...I was doing iBc etc. Misread the D for a B, I guess.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Ah...I was doing iBc etc. Misread the D for a B, I guess.
Thats funny...I had the same problem at first.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD