My ever-evolving DSLR rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Wrangler

My ever-evolving DSLR rig

I've probably invested 50% more on additional parts to turn my RedRock Micro DSLR Field Bundle into a more usable rig. Tonight I got in my counter weight kit and the Hood Loupe Bracket.

The counter weight kit is built very well, it's a very clean well machined hunk of metal. However it seems they decided to use aluminum- so as you can imagine it's not very heavy at all! This makes no sense to me- other than the fact it practically FORCES you to go back to them and order an additional $60 aluminum brick to give it enough weight to at least get close to counter balancing it.

The Hood Loupe Bracket works as advertised and keeps my Hoodman Loupe very secure against the back of the camera. However the bracket is made to work with the newer DSLR baseplate which is another $200 which is essentially a quick release system that allows you to connect your camera on and off 15mm rails rather quickly. Of course this creates yet another hole to fill in regards to what you need to now connect your camera attached to the DSLR baseplate to a tripod.

The Hood Loupe works very well however it's not built very strong. The metal it's constructed out of is literally so thin it can give you a paper cut. Not something I'd expect from an accessory costing $55.

Overall my experience with RedRock Micro components has been quite a love-hate relationship. I love how their equipment makes the 5D infinitely easier to use for true cinema style shooting. However it can become quite a money pit when you start adding accessories to build something that works for you. I also find quite disproportionate pricing for some items that boil down to a think sheet of metal and two rubber o-rings. Though it may seem like a bargain compared to products from Zacuto.

Here is a few shots of my current rig and a few un-retouched timeline stills from today's shoot unfortunately FedEx was a day late in deliverying my Red Rock acessories- I could have used the Hood-Loupe Bracket in the bright, hot sun, today:

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Yikes Glen, the model looks like she is feeling your pain - good photos but evocative of the "trying to get this all to work" experience. I loved and promoted the Red Rock mattebox for the EX 3 but felt a bit dragged over the coals when I ordered some parts that did not work as advertised and got stuck with them - no return, no exchange. One solution is to buy from one of their few dealers who will take stuff back for a restock fee. For me, I'll move on, but Zacuto, great as it is costs too much. A shoulder mount that costs more than the camera is just nuts.
I'm using an old Leica table top tripod and an IBC "U boat commander" rig (I bet they regret that name by now). With that and occasionally a monopod I'm happy for handheld work.
We're local - we should start a bull***t session over a beer someday - send me a PM (or let the world know - they can all join us for a beer and some Canon talk). Bringing the model gets you extra points.

Last edited by Denis OKeefe; July 28th, 2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: speeeeeling
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hey Denis, I was just down your way last weekend for a wedding in Conshohocken/Villanova : www.gmelliottvideo.com/kenneytrailer.mov

I'm actually located about 25minutes outside of the city in S.Jersey. Let me know if you ever want to hang out. PS I'm looking for a shooter and especially an editor (local and on FCP) do you fit the description? :)
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Glen,
Images look great. I was playing around today at a shop with the 24 - 70mm lens and the 5D. How do you find the 5D with this lens for shooting? and can you remember what settings you shot those stills in?
I'm so close to getting the 5D. Would mean I would have to sell the EX1.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Glen, very nice images. Care to share what Picture Style settings you used? Or was it all set to out of the box defaults?

By the way, I got/tried the indian "imitation" of the RR shoulder rig. It's ok, but as already posted somehwere around here it's very front heavy.. well, it's overall very heavy. Another downside: while the hand grips are very nice to hold they are made of very cheap rubber... after a few minutes your hands start to become grey/black from it and after a shoot they "stink" as if you've just repaired an old bike ;-))
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Money pit indeed Glen. I am right behind you all the way. My biggest problem with Redrock and even worse, Zacuto products is that the seem to be soooo over priced. But then as long as people like you and I shell out the money they will keep charging. Great products, but not sure why so high priced.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Glen, does the one plate help to balance out the rig pretty well? I'm about to order the balance weight kit and am contemplating purchasing a second weight, do you think it's necessary?
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #8
Major Player

At least Zacuto has their products in stock and stands behind them....can't say the same for Redrock.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Z-Finder from Zacuto still back order :-)
Cuong Dinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Hey Glen,
Images look great. I was playing around today at a shop with the 24 - 70mm lens and the 5D. How do you find the 5D with this lens for shooting? and can you remember what settings you shot those stills in?
I'm so close to getting the 5D. Would mean I would have to sell the EX1.

Thanks
The 24-70 is my widest lens thus the reason I used it for the low angle shot set at full wide (24). The 16-35 is really nice but only 8mm wider than the 24-70 which, IMHO, didn't justify owning another 1k+ lens (just for 8mm more width).

I use the Neutral Preset and lower the contrast to the bottom and the contrast 2 clicks.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller View Post
Hey Glen, very nice images. Care to share what Picture Style settings you used? Or was it all set to out of the box defaults?

By the way, I got/tried the indian "imitation" of the RR shoulder rig. It's ok, but as already posted somehwere around here it's very front heavy.. well, it's overall very heavy. Another downside: while the hand grips are very nice to hold they are made of very cheap rubber... after a few minutes your hands start to become grey/black from it and after a shoot they "stink" as if you've just repaired an old bike ;-))
I explained my picture settings in the reply above. I haven't seen the Indian made imitation rig. Though I don't know why some company can't come up with the same (or VERY similar products) and easily undercut Zacuto and RedRock and STILL make a killing in sales. This stuff doesn't have moving parts- just machined metal and thumbscrews.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Wrangler

Bruce have you invested in any support gear for your 5D? If so what did you get?
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
Hey Glen, does the one plate help to balance out the rig pretty well? I'm about to order the balance weight kit and am contemplating purchasing a second weight, do you think it's necessary?
Unless you are using a very small/light lens I can't see how you can get away with only one weight. I need it with my 24-70 and 135 f2.

I'm annoyed that they chose one of the LIGHTEST metals to make the counterweight. It should be made out of iron. It can provide many times more weight at a MUCH smaller size.
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Glen

Yes I got the Capt. Stubing with shoulder mount and follow focus, and then got the offset kit and a couple of longer rods for the shoulder mount. I am not seeing the should mount much help. It is very front heavy and the camera seems to need to be up higher so I am constantly holding my arms up higher than I would like. Poor design for that part. Mounting on a tripod though is very nice and i really like the follow focus. Stops on a dime.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Though I don't know why some company can't come up with the same (or VERY similar products) and easily undercut Zacuto and RedRock and STILL make a killing in sales. This stuff doesn't have moving parts- just machined metal and thumbscrews.
+1

Zacuto and Redrock are so overpriced it's not even funny. I don't know how some people can pay $3k for a 35mm still/video camera with state-of-the art sensors and microprocessors and then pay half or equal to that for some crappy aluminum with thumb screws. It's completely ridiculous. Granted Canon can R&D for cheaper and sell in larger numbers but, Red is a smaller company and they're releasing camera capable of 120fps at 3k for just $2500. Spend that on Zacuto and Redrock gear and you'll get, essentially, some aluminum tubes and bike handles.
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD