Mamiya MF lenses on 5DII? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Though it does make sense that there would be a crop and aperture issue when using MF lenses on the 5DII, I have not noticed any issues in the slightest. See my examples below:

This one is shot with the Mamiya 80mm at f2.8, shutter speed 120, and ISO 100-

This one with the 50mm Canon from the same exact location at f2.8, shutter 120, and ISO 100-

and this one was shot closer to the subject to the subject to compensate for focal distance. It was shot at f2.8, shutter 120, and ISO 100-

From what I can tell there doesn't appear to be a crop factor or a relating effect on aperture. Maybe someone that is more experienced than I with dslrs can see something that I am not.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
From what I can tell there doesn't appear to be a crop factor or a relating effect on aperture. Maybe someone that is more experienced than I with dslrs can see something that I am not.
The "crop factor" does not change physical properties of a lens. All 50mm f/2.8 lenses will have the same angle of view a Four Thirds camera, no matter what system they were made for: Four Thirds, APS-C, 35mm, or Medium Format. For example, these all have the same exact angle of view, depth of field, and diffraction:
  • Olympus 50mm f/2.8 on a Four Thirds Camera
  • Canon EF-S 50mm f/2.8 on a Four Thirds Camera
  • Canon EF 50mm f/2.8 on a Four Thirds Camera
  • Mamiya 50mm f/2.8 on a Four Thirds Camera

Even if the lens was made for Medium Format (e.g. 645), when you put it on a smaller format (e.g. Four Thirds), the focal length and f-number do not change.

So even though a lens does not change when it used on different formats, the resulting picture does. And it helps to understand when the resulting picture is equivalent. That is where crop factor comes in.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Ryan Mueller;1277645]The 150mm is minimal while the 80mm is pretty moderate. QUOTE]

Many thanks. Both seem to have significant breathing issues. The search continues.
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD