Rolling Shutter plugin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rolling Shutter plugin

Dragging this up to the 5DM2 forum from the EX1 forum..

just in case you need this...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...tion-plug.html
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Major Player

This looks like a sweet plugin...if you have After Effects!!

Thanks for the info. Ray; much appreciate it.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Very cool looking plugin.
It always cracks me up when someone shoots a street scene (or similar) when a car drives by and it looks like it's falling over backwards due to the skew.
Only drawback is, of course, like any motion stabilization, you will loose a bit of resolution as you zoom in to loose the edges it creates.
Still, nice tool for the toolbelt.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

just to add a bit of info to this thread:

direct link: The Foundry - Overview

the Rolling Shutter for AE has a 15day, fully functional watermark free demo.
You can buy a single user license for $500, or license it for a period of time - at about $4.25 USD per day with the CAVEAT of a $100 USD minimum
Andy Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
Only drawback is, of course, like any motion stabilization, you will loose a bit of resolution as you zoom in to loose the edges it creates.
Not true for Deshaker, this virtualdub plugin has the very nice feature that you can use previous and future frames to fill in the borders, so there is no zoom or resolution loss. It also does a very good job at fixing rolling shutter (the moving camera created kind); I use a rolling shutter correction from 65% to 75%.

Also, instead of virtualdub I use Video Enhancer
Video processing, enhancement and compression
which is a versitle program that runs virtualdub plugins. The advantage of Video Enhancer is that it can use Cineform for both input and output, which leads to a very easy workflow.

By using the previous and future frames to fill in the borders you lose the last part of the clip, by the number of frames used for the correction; typically 30 frames (so shoot an extra second). Also the audio needs to be moved the 30 frames, which is corrected in post.

I've used this for quite a bit of aerial work to smooth things out and the quality is amazing. I think this might even work for hand held run and gun journalism if you take care to shoot as smoothly as possible and maybe up the shutter speed a little.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

> The advantage of Video Enhancer is that it can use Cineform for both input and output, which leads to a very easy workflow.

Hm why should that not be possible with the original VirtualDub? I employ this workflow (from and to Cineform AVI) all the time with VirtualDub.. no need for "Video Enhancer"..
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller View Post
Hm why should that not be possible with the original VirtualDub? I employ this workflow (from and to Cineform AVI) all the time with VirtualDub.. no need for "Video Enhancer"..
Good to know - I must not have tried hard enough.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD