New Final Cut and 5Dmk2 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Major Player

New Final Cut and 5Dmk2 footage

Anyone know about the new Final Cut working directly with the footage or do we still need to convert it to ProRes first?
Thanks
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You must convert.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Aaarg

My bet is that mPeg Streamclip is still faster.
Thanks Tom,
izza shame. No FCP upgrade for me
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Tourist

Why do people convert the clips? I've edited the raw files in FCP without any problems. What a I missing here?

Thanks.

I made this in FCP without any transcoding.

http://vimeo.com/5435379
Lee Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
New Boot

You don't have to transcode the files if your Mac is fast and powerful enough. On my Mac Pro which is a year old the clips play fine. When I add transitions it slows down somewhat.
On my MacBook Pro I just got the 17 inch last week you can play the clips but as soon as you add any transitions or effects you have to render for play back. What I do it make all my cuts add transitions and send it to color on the round trip it return the sequence as proress so you can play it on your laptop or desktop. It works the same in FCS 2 and the New FCS version 3

Last edited by Learvis Templeton Jr.; August 10th, 2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add more info
Learvis Templeton Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Major Player

NeoScene from Cineform will work as well...maybe better that Streamclip...as NeoScene retains the 0-255 range while using FC ..... or even iMovie 09 for that matter.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Major Player

I read on another forum that when used with final cut server, it automatically creates prores proxy which you can edit directly. Maybe someone using the prores proxy can chime in on whether or not this is a better solution. I would particularly like to know if fc server converts to prores proxy any faster than mpeg streamclip.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
as NeoScene retains the 0-255 range while using FC
So does MPEG Streamclip.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learvis Templeton Jr. View Post
What I do it make all my cuts add transitions and send it to color on the round trip it return the sequence as proress so you can play it on your laptop or desktop. It works the same in FCS 2 and the New FCS version 3
Translation please?
Craig Linssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
NeoScene from Cineform will work as well...maybe better that Streamclip...as NeoScene retains the 0-255 range while using FC ..... or even iMovie 09 for that matter.
Neoscene costs an extra $129 for the basic version. However the Neoscene CODEC does not work in Color so if you want to use Neoscene & do professional colour correction then you need to pay $499 for Neoscen HD which includes Cineform's own colour correction application 'First Light'.

ProRes is part of Final Cut Pro at no extra cost.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bryant View Post
Why do people convert the clips? I've edited the raw files in FCP without any problems. What a I missing here?
Unlike any Windows video editing applications that I know of it is possible to edit the native 5DII files in FCP. However it is much easier to first convert them to ProRes otherwise the editing process takes much longer & is more difficult because of the requirement to render the footage. In my experience it also leads to the odd glitch, twitch or other problem in the final output that is avoided by converting to ProRes.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Unlike any Windows video editing applications that I know of it is possible to edit the native 5DII files in FCP.
You can edit the native files (sort of) in Vegas, though you need to open them in QuickTime and save them without conversion as MP4 files in order to not clip the blacks and whites. It's just a re-wrap, not a conversion.

Of course, Cineform files play back much more efficiently. When using the re-wrapped files, it's best to use proxies (or RAM renders) to find the edit points, though you can use the originals for color correction.

Whatever. Cineform makes the whole process much more enjoyable on the PC.
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Neoscene costs an extra $129 for the basic version. However the Neoscene CODEC does not work in Color so if you want to use Neoscene & do professional colour correction then you need to pay $499 for Neoscen HD which includes Cineform's own colour correction application 'First Light'.
Thanks Nigel. That's something I didn't notice on first look. Also, I might as well ask... has anyone used First Light and can give a short review?
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:

ProRes is part of Final Cut Pro at no extra cost.
Is ProRes able to retain the 0-255 range?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Is ProRes able to retain the 0-255 range?
Yes, as long as you have the quicktime update from a few months back (I believe it was the 7.6 update that resolved the range issue)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD