Video Rendering 101 Anywhere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Video Rendering 101 Anywhere?

I've shot over 100 4-5 minutes clips - usually live performances - one song one clip.

I use a RODE SVM Mic and mostly 24-105 f4L IS lens. I use NeoScene to convert the MOV files to AVI files and then bring the AVI files into Sony Vegas Studio 9 PE tp edit and add titles credits etc.

Recently shot a 6 minute wedding (outdoors) and produced a rather hefty WMV end product which I then uploaded to SmugMug. The client who has who knows what kinda computer or connection say they can't get the movie to run. I have cable moden and I have to let it download a little before i try to play it myself.

Question: What's the best bang for the buck as far as HD render formats? I've heard
MP2 is HD - is MP4 HD - is there an optimal rendering format for web that can show a medium size picture that will just run on a decent connection?

Also lately my videos played on Vimeo seem to accentuate the jerkiness whereas the same video uploaded to YouTube looks better and the video played on my bos is pretty smooth...and ideas?

I'm learning but seems I have more questtions than answers at this point.

Thanks
Harry
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Videos uploaded to Vimeo are no longer in the native file format. They are all converted to a standard h.264 file at a standard rate. So if it's jerky there, it's not your original file that is at fault. I have no idea what smugmug does.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the quick response......YouTube's conversion is kinder. I there a best output from Vegas Studio 9 PE where the conversion doesn't screw up the video so badly?

Harry
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Tourist

Read this

Read this at Vimeo. I've used the same settings for SmugMug: Compression guidelines on Vimeo

Here's a link to my settings, you may have to play with the target bitrate to keep it under their files size limitation: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/5dvideo/h.264.jpg
Steve Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

SmugMug converts to H.264 at a bit rate of around 7.5 Mbps for 1920x1080, 3.2Mbps for 1280x720 & lower bit rates for lower resolutions. I have excellent results with exporting from FCP in ProRes 1920x1080 & then converting to H.264 at 8Mbps before uploading to SmugMug. The SmugMug converted files are identical in quality to the originals & are faster to upload than if you upload files created at a higher bit rate. http://www.barkersvideo.com
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
Also lately my videos played on Vimeo seem to accentuate the jerkiness whereas the same video uploaded to YouTube looks better and the video played on my bos is pretty smooth...and ideas?
Previouslyt Vimeo used to convert all HD video to 25fps which caused all 5DII 30fps video to be jerky & stuttery. I actually got a refund for my Vimeo Pro account because the video looked so awful. I had read in their forums that they now preserve the original frame rate up to 30fps & it does seem OK now with my wife's videos. However it may be that their conversion from whatever format you upload in is the problem. As the final video format for Vimeo is H.264 it makes sense to convert your footage to that format before upload. We have pretty good results with uploading 5Mbps 1280x720 Alice Barker's videos on Vimeo
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Major Player

This may be the missing piece. I've been rendering to WMV from the Cineform converted AVI that i edit in Vegas Studio 9 PE. Anyone know what the H.264 equivalent would be? What is the extention on the rendered file?

Thanks so much for helping me!

Harry
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
This may be the missing piece. I've been rendering to WMV from the Cineform converted AVI that i edit in Vegas Studio 9 PE. Anyone know what the H.264 equivalent would be? What is the extention on the rendered file?

Thanks so much for helping me!

Harry
Extension is usually .MP4

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD